1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Us

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Sep 21, 2020.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I recall quite liking the book but thought this was poor . Not sure if it is the casting / acting / script - all three perhaps ?

An aside I hated ‘Sweet Sorrow’ ... did not work for me on any level ... a bit like this adaptation ;) ?

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I found it quite entertaining with some acute observations. The busker girlfriend seemed unrealistically annoying.
    I would not choose to read the book.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Lost interest after 5 minutes. Never read the book.

minnie me likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes my husband lasted that long too :rolleyes:

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I just didn't like the three main characters much, the additional character of the girlfriend was even worse. The locations kept me watching as much as anything, don't think I'll bother with any more

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Saucy :D

blazer and Dunteachin like this.
  8. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Enjoyed this; good cast and lovely locations.
    Agree about the annoying girlfriend!

9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I forgot to watch it!

10. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Undecided at the moment, probably watch the next episode but not all that excited. I agree the girlfriend is irritating and I also think the son is horrible and is played by a person who is unable to speak clearly. I ended up feeling rather sorry for the husband who just appears to be the target for everyone's ire.

smoothnewt likes this.
  11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I thought the scenes of the youthful Connie and Douglas were not credible though I do remember this story line from the book . I don’t think the production knows what it wants to be ?

Oscillatingass likes this.
  12. LondonCanary

I was OK with that. Opinion influenced by my own experience.

emerald52 likes this.
  13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

People don't really change that much facially in 24 years; the wife had aged considerably.

Yep, it didn't grab me. Am also watching just for the locations.

Haven't read the book, but I guess it's a journey of discovery and they stay together in the end.

minnie me likes this.
  14. Oscillatingass

I haven't read the book either so I can enjoy speculating how it will end. If they stay married they need to ditch the obnoxious son. Being cynical (just for a change) I remember thinking the bloke should ditch the pair of them since the son hates him and the wife seems to be a bit of a fruitcake.

smoothnewt likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

It's two different actors
    The 2 actors are 28 years apart rather than the 24 in the story.

16. LondonCanary

She was wonderful when younger and that will be a prevailing memory.

17. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I loved it! Great cast, script and locations.

18. Oscillatingass

One particular scene was totally unrealistic. Early on in the programme the husband makes a BMW driver wait while he talks to his wife. The BMW dutifully waits. We all know any self respecting BMW driver would have beaten him to a pulp.

mothorchid and smoothnewt like this.
  19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I saw about a minute of it and decided it was not my thing. I'm tired of all the family angst stuff.

I reckon a definition of drama could be "a challenge overcome" but, I'd like to see a perfectly happy family with no problems and lots of laughs. Literally no drama. No story even. Just a very mundane and simple depiction of a happy family with no problems and lots of laughs.

20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I enjoyed it. All three main characters have their flaws, but my sympathy lies with the bloke. On a superficial note, the woman’s hairstyle really annoys me. I’ll definitely watch more.

anotherauntsally likes this.