1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

US Teacher Certified in UK?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by KarrynL, Jun 11, 2017.

1. KarrynL

KarrynL New commenter

Hello,

I am a teacher from the US certified for Secondary English in the states of Pennsylvania and California, originally through a university certificate program. I also have a Master's degree in English. I recently moved to the UK to join my husband who is studying here. My question is, can my certification translate over, or is there a route to getting certified to teach in the UK? Also, what are requirements for supply teaching, and how can I get notified of opportunities for it?

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

2. KKaupa

KKaupa New commenter

Hi Karryn,

You've got two options really - one is to convert our qualification directly over to what we call QTS - as you're from the US, we have a relationship where we will honour that qualification. However, as you're not familiar with the English school system, you'd need to look at volunteering in schools to be able to prove at interview that you have the knowledge that makes you a strong candidate. (https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/overseas-applicants)

You may want to look at Initial Teacher Training - although you wouldn't qualify for any bursary or financial support with this, you would then have a qualification schools recognise. (https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/)

Hope this helps a little,

Kathryn

KarrynL likes this.
  3. KarrynL

KarrynL New commenter

Thank you for the information!

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Please stop citing this in every post! If the OP has QTS, they don't need to do the ITT and there are numerous other options, such as Assessment Only QTS, schools such as independents which don't require QTS, etc.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I don't believe that the poster you're replying to is actually a teacher. It's a bit odd.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It is indeed odd. :eek:

7. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Isn't the American version/equivalent of QTS different to ours anyway?