1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

US teacher applying to teach in the UK

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Jazsarah, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Jazsarah

Jazsarah New commenter

Hello!
    I moved to the UK in July on a spouse visa and was able to apply for and receive my QTS based on my previous training and work in the states. I’ve been working for the past few months as a supply teacher and have recently begun applying for permenant positions, however I’m not having much luck.
    There seems to be some confusion about if I am a NQT since I gained QTS in July. I thought I was exempt from an induction year, but now I’m unsure. If I am exempt, when I fill out applications how do I note this on applications when it asked for the date I gained QTS? I think this may be a reason I’ve been passed over for interviews.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help!

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Do you have any UK experience? That could be the main reason....

3. harriet1234

harriet1234 New commenter

Hi I’m wondering if you can help! I trained in the USA and gained QTS through the GTC in England in 2011. I’ve been teaching in England for 10 years (I’m an Irish National). We are relocating to Wales this summer - is this qts recognised there ?

Thanks
    Harriet