1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

US search for next Ofsted head

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JL48, Feb 14, 2016.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

here

Why? On the PISA, they are one of the few OECD countries that regularly do worse than we do.

The US does lots of things really well. Secondary and Primary education really isn't one of them.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

That the fracking Tories may further disrupt the real British values in our education system by employing a foghorn for the free market in preparation for the inevitable American asset-stripping under TTIP.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Couldn't have put it better. Sadly.

lizziescat likes this.
  5. bogwert

bogwert New commenter

6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Alas the British public voted in this lot to take care of the NHS, Education, Defence, Local Governemnt, teacher training and all the other services. The British public has to take it on the chin for five more years before they can let another lot have a go. If you vote for Xmas don't be surprised when the van from the abbatoir shows up. In this case, perhaps from the US? The whole lot will be dead by the time five years is up. Who seriously thinks schools will be hiring more qualified teachers or that schools will be better places for pupils or teachers in five years' time?

8. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

I am very surprised. Some years ago I was invited to a series of international conferences run by OECD at their headquarters in Paris and subsequently in Edinburgh. I am a mathematician and physicist and I met colleagues from over the world. The impression gained was that the US was poor at educating the non-elite and a colleague from Chicago confirmed that. Have things changed? I very much doubt so therefore come to the conclusion that any educationalist from the US would have little to offer here. It was wonderful to meet colleagues from Finland and Japan and the most hilarious event was tasting Japanese whisky in such a place as Edinburgh.

JL48 likes this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

And there you have it "... the US was poor at educating the non-elite ..." I believe that this is the intended outcome - that only the elite receive a "good" education. The plebs will be taught in
    McSchool "businesses" with their proprietor's eye fixed firmly on shareholder value, rather than a good education for their pupils.

JL48 likes this.
  10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

An OFSTED leader from charter schools?

Is there a privatising agenda?

images.jpg

11. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Somewhere along those lines. Ofsted inspectors will then fail every school under local authority control and forced to become academies.

Yoda- likes this.