1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

US kills Iranian general - petrol prices rise

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Trump ordered a missile strike on a convoy of cars near Bagdad airport, killing Iran's top general.

Iran says to expect a strong response.

Petrol prices started to rise immediately

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Why would petrol prices rise when we don't buy oil from Iran?

3. Corvuscorax

plenty of countries do!

4. florian gassmann

Ah, bad luck China. ;)

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But aren't oil prices global? So our petrol is going to be sold to us at a world price?

Or does China pay a different price to France, different to Israel, different to the USA?

I don't really know how the market works here...

6. Corvuscorax

markets in UK and US also expected to fall

7. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Risky strategy that will only increase tension in the region and beyond im sad to say. Where’s diplomacy?

cissy3, Laphroig and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. florian gassmann

All I know is that China is the largest customer for Iranian oil amd that the UK doesn't buy oil from Iran.

I just buy the stuff from Sainburys. The price goes up when there's a shortage and stays up when there's a surplus.

9. Corvuscorax

US embassy orders all US citizens out of Iraq with immediate affect

10. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Typical of capitalism - six people killed by drone strike, including two senior military leaders, one Iranian, one Iraqi. And what is Radio 4 concerned with? Oil prices. Never mind the prospect of ratcheted up tension and likely violence in the ME, and maybe even elsewhere.

sbkrobson and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. red_observer

Reckless and stupid action, again, from Trump.

Sally006 and Laphroig like this.
  12. Corvuscorax

maybe because oil prices comes from all of those things, and leads back to all of those other things, and is a very important component of the cycle

becky_m1995 likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye but oil is a global product sold on global markets. So if oil prices go up then the raw material costs for UK petrol manufacturers go up too.

Surely?

JL48 likes this.
  14. Corvuscorax

What would impact on our lives in the UK next week? the fate of Americans living in Bagdad or queues and shortages at petrol stations?

15. florian gassmann

I guess so, but Iran is not a huge oil producer these days and they have a shaky economy that they will not wish to harm. Still, I think petrol manufacturers will use any excuse to increase prices.

upload_2020-1-3_9-12-35.jpeg

Neither.

install likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I suspect [just hazarding a guess really] that it's the threat to oil supply more than Iranian oil itself... Iran did attack and knock out that Saudi oil facility last year... and has attacked tankers from the gulf oil fields... so if hostilities ramp up that could be why oil prices rise.

Also [and not aimed at you FG], ironic that people are worried this action will increase tensions...

Like Iran backing Hamas
    Backing Hezbollah
    Sending militia to fuel the Syrian civil war
    Backing Islamic Jihad
    Backing Houthi rebels in Yemen
    Attacking gulf tankers
    Fuelling war in Aghanistan
    Bombing Saudi oil facilities
    Running militia in Iraq who try to storm the US embassy, the same militia who attacked pro-democracy protestors in Baghdad who were sick of their government being controlled by Tehran.
    That killed 1500 of its own people.

None of that ramped up tensions o_O .... and yes, I know the USA does stuff too in the area... but don't start pretending Iran is some innocent victim.

artboyusa, Jonntyboy and lexus300 like this.
  17. red_observer

Iran certainly is not innocent but I subscribe to the reaction of Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden this morning.
    The US and its allies continue to support an Isis type government in Saudi and its merciless war in Yemen aided and supported by the US.
    It’s time for diplomacy to take over before a wider catastrophe ensues.

Alice K and Laphroig like this.
  18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The destabilising effects on the region, could be considerable. Lebanon is a tinderbox, that had shown signs of moving towards stability. Bad news for them and Iraq and I agree with red observer, a reckless act by the USA that our government should be very careful of endorsing without question.

red_observer likes this.
  19. red_observer

Of course we will and then anyone else criticising it will be labelled anti patriotic

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For a moment when I first saw the story I thought Trump had ordered a strike on George Clooney. Not inconcievable given George's stand on politics.

gainly likes this.