1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

US election: this is what will happen

Discussion in 'Personal' started by artboyusa, Jan 9, 2016.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Agreed.

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Interesting analysis in the NY Times about why Hillary Clinton won the votes but not the election. Essentially, she won big in states that didn't matter much; whereas Donald Trump was smiled on by Dame Fortune and won by a squeak in the battleground states.

3. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

2 Senators each though, regardless of population.
    Electoral college votes=Number of representatives + 2 (number of senators)

MD380

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Hmmm

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Hey Jude!

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... having taught US Politics I'm aware of this...

And I don't see the relevancy of it.

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You disagree?

I mean this was the statement of the US Supreme Court on the issue of State's Rights.

9. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

Actually two UK General Elections since 1945 have seen the Party which won the popular vote fail to take the most seats. Both FPTP and winner-takes-all grossly distort the popular vote. That’s why neither is fit for purpose.

lexus300 likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Possibly a teensy bit but not enough to make an argument of it
    Others might though ;)

Well they would say that.......... :cool:

12. cuteinpuce

So the Electoral College has done its job and the fat lady is now singing.

It's been a long journey but back at the start of this thread, some three weeks shy of a year ago, art called it.

lexus300 likes this.
  13. bonkers 704

So America's Trumpian journey is about to begin. Given the volatile state of world politics - Zurich, Ankara and Berlin today alone, Chinese annoyance with Trump - Trump has got a huge job on his hands. I hope he and his advisers are up to the job.

14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

They aren't :(

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yes, States' Rights versus the Federal Government - we had a war over it. The American Civil War was not over slavery (and growing up in Virginia - state of Robert E. Lee, one of the most respected Generals in American History, I think I know my history)....it's a very, very, very sad day.

Not my President - Bernie 2020!

16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

In what now seems like a particularly unfortunate and distasteful choice of words.

Flere-Imsaho and sabrinakat like this.
  17. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

When you think there are no more surprises, more electors tried to defect from Clinton than tried to defect from Trump.

18. cuteinpuce

I wonder if anyone really understands what's going on in politics at the moment. The forces which led to the Brexit vote and Donald Trump to the presidency are opaque and incoherent, but very powerful.

19. bonkers 704

Seven faithless electors in the end, five Democrats, voting for Colin Powell (3), Bernie Sanders and Faith Spotted Eagle (interesting one - the first Native American to receive an Electoral College vote), two Republicans who voted for John Kasich and Ron Paul. Even in the Electoral College, the opposition to Trump was incoherent and unco-ordinated. Trump takes control of a country in utter turmoil, facing massive threats both within and without, and as divided as it has ever been since the 1930s/1940s America First movement.

20. bonkers 704

Seven faithless electors in the end, five Democrats, voting for Colin Powell (3), Bernie Sanders and Faith Spotted Eagle (interesting one - the first Native American to receive an Electoral College vote), two Republicans who voted for John Kasich and Ron Paul. Even in the Electoral College, the opposition to Trump was incoherent and unco-ordinated. Trump takes control of a country in utter turmoil, facing massive threats both within and without, and as divided as it has ever been since the 1930s/1940s America First movement.