1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

US election: this is what will happen

Discussion in 'Personal' started by artboyusa, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

One of life's lessons is that, when you vote in an election, or any other "democratic" exercise the results may not be to your tastes or meet your expectations.
    History would suggest that in the vast majority of cases, no post-vote complaints or attempts to overturn the vote are successful and whilst such complaints/attempts are within the rights of those defeated by the vote, eventually people accept the facts and plan to do better next time.

There have been a (very) few successful attempts but hanging one's hopes on such a statistically small sample is, at best, mostly wishful thinking.

Eventually, the world may change and you might get the chance to say "Told you so!" but that is merely a fleeting pleasure in most cases.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I suspect it's the sheer oddness of the ''Electoral College'' system... a system widely discussed in the USA and polling at 62% against it [LINK * ]. 5 Presidents have gained the highest office despite coming second in the popular vote [Adams, Hayes, Harrison, Bush II and Trump] but for most of the 20th century it wasn't an issue... but then twice in the last 20 years the popular will of the US populace is rejected with an artificial implement of government.

And why was that implement of government brought in? Well... slavery. It was a way to balance the US balance of power [ LINK ] in a world of North and South where the South could count their non-voting slaves as part of their population... so keeping a say in the government and making Virginia the big powerhouse of the early USA electorally speaking.

Personally I don't get why they retain it... it's not like it even serves the needs of the ''Establishment''... after all, State Governors are elected by popular vote...

* I deliberately picked a poll predating the 2016 election by a long way so it wasn't associated with post-electoral anger. Hard to get a balanced poll for the modern day because the party line divide is so pronounced.

3. Didactylos4

Noted and agreed
    Neither do I
    A question that should possibly have been asked and answered before the election though?
    This one may finally be the straw that upsets the camel though

4. Didactylos4

Something that really should apply to our systems for running referendums too

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It was... I distinctly remember it being discussed widely after Bush/Gore in 2000...

And yeah... Obama had 8 years to attempt to do something about it... but the folks who win by the system rarely want to change the system.

6. Didactylos4

When the bottle is empty it is too late to complain that the milk was spilt because of a faulty bottle.....

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

upload_2016-12-16_15-5-7.png

May I respectfully suggest we put our own house (HOUSE, geddit?) in order first?

JL48 likes this.
  8. Didactylos4

Will that be a D'Hondt system with candidate list voting?
    As is commonly employed
    If so it would be little better than the current system and probably worse

and cue Delnon :D

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

10. Didactylos4

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Other electoral systems are available.

12. Didactylos4

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

OK... let me just see if I understand this... I have a car... it's an old car I inherited. The warning light comes on... I ignore it... that light flashes... I ignore it... I have a couple of breakdowns... then I have a breakdown that is ... oh I dunno... 2.7 million?

But that car is still good to go?

14. Didactylos4

No
    Think Penny and the "check engine" light

15. Didactylos4

Followed by this

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes so Sheldon keeps mentioning the check engine light and then ... she doesn't.. and ...

Sorry .... your milk bottle is lost on me...

17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

11 years is not that long. Plus statute law is sovereign in our system.

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It’s about a society in free fall.
    On the way down, it keeps telling itself:
    ‘So far, so good.
    So far, so good.
    So far, so good.’
    How you fall doesn’t matter.
    It’s how you land.

19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If 'a week is a long time in politics', the 11 years is an age. :)

Parliament may be 'sovereign', but I doubt any government is likely to try and overturn a 'Royal' Charter, esp. when that form of governance was used to avoid accusations that the BBc was just a mouthpiece for the UK government.

20. Didactylos4

In its simplest possible form....... With a pretty colour code to help with the attention deficiency
    Analogy ------ Real life ------ Big Bang Theory (BBT)

• Spilt milk =Trump winning= car blowing up
    • Faulty bottle = US electoral system = Penny putting tape over light
    • Complaining about faulty bottle and spilt milk after it is empty=People being all upset about something they KNEW fine well was faulty but did nothing about =Penny getting knickers in twist about dead car
    As you can tell I have been away from teaching for a while aas I really should have
    1. Chosen more appropriate colours to allow for those who have difficulty with hues
    2. Made you do the colouring in and then marked your efforts and eventual corrections
    3. provided more notes to provide background on the Trump election, the electoral system and the BBT series and characters
    But you know what? I no longer care :p