1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

US election: this is what will happen

Discussion in 'Personal' started by artboyusa, Jan 9, 2016.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The reason is conscription for all males between the ages of 20 and 41 - even going to university doesn't get you off (it just allows you to postpone your time in the army). Conscientious objection is illegal, and generally you can't get a job in Turkey without completing military service.

The only exception (my Turkish barber tells me) is that upon paying £7000 to the government, Turks living abroad only have to return to Turkey to serve three weeks in the army.

JL48 likes this.
  2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I wouldn't worry about the BBC for much longer. With the Brexit / Trump revolution, they are surely on borrowed time. They'll be a long distant memory along with the NHS.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes, I do understand all that... my point is that their military spending isn't detrimental to their military size/scale and efficacy... if you take a one-size-fits-all approach, spending is below 2% = bad... then Turkey is an outrider. The only NATO member to commit ground forces to fighting ISIS for example.

4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

And Hilary received more votes than the Donald.
    *doublefacepalm*

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Considering the choice they were presented with...

KirkDouglas likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

51% didn't vote in 1996 (when Bill Clinton was re-elected). That was followed by 49.7% who didn't vote in 2000 when George W Bush was elected. There hasn't been a turnout of more than 58% for an American presidential election since the 1960s. I guess a lot of people were turned off by the style of campaigning this time around.

7. florian gassmann

Conscripts are only paid pocket money, so enormous cost savings are possible compared with armies of professional soldiers.

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

And Yoda you have become
    [​IMG]

like a grope, you would Mr Trump?
    ***** you can grab them by.

9. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

Although the turnout was low, it is measured differently in the USA from here - there it is expressed as a % of the Voting Age Population (which might include millions ineligible to vote) whereas here it is a % of those actually registered to vote. I still can't get over the turnout for the EU Referendum. Only 72% means that more than a quarter of those entitled to a vote failed to use it. Mind-boggling.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Plus it's like our system in a way. Texas is never going to vote Democrat and California doesn't vote Republican so US voters also get 'wasted vote' syndrome just like the British electors in Maidenhead or Bootle.

My cousin couldn't find her voter registration card (she was told she was "cancelled" and she'd have to go back to Philly) and her husband told her not to bother as it wouldn't make any difference! Luckily she DID find it.

But it's only the battleground states that are going to swing the decision anyway.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Before the million and oneth vote can win the election the first million must be cast. Unless there are no Republicans in California or Democrats in Texas people have to vote for their party to win.

12. bonkers 704

This Election still ain't over:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ican-electoral-college-trump#comment-88926638
    Eight faithless electors have declared so far - quite extraordinary. Unfortunately for Hillary, seven of them are refusing to vote for her! These people are refusing to call themselves "faithless" or "rogue" electors. Apparently they are being "Hamiltonian" in disregarding their voters' wishes. What a ludicrous system to have 130 million Americans vote, only for their wishes to be entirely disregarded by 538 people.

lexus300 likes this.
  13. bonkers 704

I wonder what odds you would have got at the bookies if you'd have bet on Trump winning the states and the Electoral College, but losing the popular vote by a wide margin, before John Kasich being chosen President by the House of Representatives after a massive EC rebellion? It's not too late to place your bets!

14. bonkers 704

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

16. templing

templing Occasional commenter

17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I suspect that the BBC brand will be sold off in the not too distant future.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Any bears in those woods?

19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

To the new Murdoch Sky network?

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The charter renewal has just been agreed, hasn't it? That guarantees the licence fee for, I think, 11 years at least...