1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

US education system

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by ashleysummer, Aug 16, 2016.

1. ashleysummer

ashleysummer New commenter

Colleagues, what dou you think of our education system? I've recently read a great article suggesting the ways to improve the US education system and I'd like to share it with you here - http://bid4papers.com/blog/usa-education-system/ . Could these methods be effective?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'm not sure what you're asking; from a quick glance, they seem to be good ideas in an ideal world, eg. better pay, more respect, more differentiation, etc., but the reality is that taxpayers may consider education important but prefer less taxes....

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My only experience is Chicago. Schools feel vibrant and teachers work hard. However I would say that the students there are about 2 years behind ours in the UK both academically and emotionally.

4. vrgraham1

vrgraham1 New commenter

I'm experiencing this two year lag you mentioned not just academically but as you say emotionally (the lack of formality does not appeal to my reserved son but the girls flourish). As a British parent I made the choice of an American international school over a British international school. At the time it was the right decision. Next academic year he should be starting KS2 in the UK and I'm rethinking my decision. What should I consider at this point? If I stick with the US system would I mess up any chance of passing 11plus or if we wanted him to give it a shot at a scholarship for a decent secondary private school in the UK? Does the US system give him an edge on something I may not be seeing through my British spectacles?

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

The US system allows more flexibility and opportunities if your son isn't sure what he wants to study at 6th form. The A-level structure is quite restrictive in that it limits subjects at university; this starts at GCSE selection in Y9. IB might be a better comparison to the US system as it is more general but it does require Maths, English and a 'science'. If, however, your son is pretty sure he is interested in a particular area, then GCSEs/A-levels would link better to a UK university system.

For me, the American high school experience (in the US) allowed me to take a variety of subjects; I didn't even really know what I wanted to do in life but did follow an academic curriculum, taking Advanced Placement exams in French, English and American History (if you score high enough, you get college credit but they more similiar to ASs).

Had I known exactly what I wanted to do, then the GCSE/A-level route would have been ideal.

To be honest, I would speak with other patents at your son's current school - those with older children to see if their own children have gone into a British secondary, taken the 11+, etc.

I'm an American over here and my son goes to a British curriculum primary. I think if I had been in a position to start him at an American school from Kindergarden, I think I would have (and I am going to google the closest one).

raun_cesar and Lara mfl 05 like this.