1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

US citizen contemplating GTS or PGCE which one is better for non EU citizen?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Londongirl1, Jan 19, 2011.

  1. Dear Graeme,
    I have a question regarding the best way for a non EU citizen to gain QTS in England. My partner would like to train to be a primary school teacher so he cant teach in the UK, he has a degree in Engineering from a University in the US so has maths/science based degree.
    He is currently living in the US but his intention is to move to the UK when I we married and through this he would have a work visa for the UK.
    We have seen from doing research that there seem to be 3 options for him to get his QTS for the UK:
    1.Graduate Teacher Programme
    3. If he trains to be a teacher in the US then he could get work as an unqualified teacher and then hopefully find an employer who would let him train for his Overseas Teacher Training certificate.
    My questions are :
    -Would him being American and having no knowledge of the UK education system pose a problem to him getting employment at a school for a GTP-would he be put at a disadvantage as he is not British?
    -Is it difficult to get a school to employ one on a GTP? -Is it more likely that he would be able to get a school to take him for a OTT?
    -Is there an advantage of having a PGCE over a GTP?
    I hope this makes sense.
    Many thanks for any help.

  2. chicabonita

    chicabonita New commenter

    A PGCE would give him the benefit of a working knowledge of the British system.
    GTP placements can be very hard to come by, unless you're already working in a school in another role.
    Bear in mind that primary posts are quite scarce at the moment, too.
    Good luck!
  3. He would need to gain some experience and knowledge of the English education system to gain admission to either a PGCE or a GTP. He could begin by visiting the national curriculum website http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk and looking at current educational issues on the Teachernet www.teachernet.gov.uk website. When he arrives in the UK, he would need to gain some voluntary experience in schools.
    All employment-based routes are competitive and it is impossible to predict whether he would find the GTP or the OTTP to be an easier route as so much depends on the needs of the school in question. Male teachers are currently under-represented in primary schools but you may also be interested to know that maths and science are both shortage priority subjects at secondary level. The advantage of him becoming a trained teacher in the States would be that he would be qualified to teach there should he decide to return and he would be allowed to work as an unqualified teacher in England for four years before needing to gain qualified teacher status (QTS).

    Both the GTP and the PGCE routes lead to QTS which is the status needed to teach in England and Wales. However, the GTP is a vocational route that leads to QTS, whereas the PGCE is a qualification in its own right. Many overseas countries recognise the PGCE as a suitable qualification for teaching in their country, therefore, should he be thinking of returning to the States or travelling to other countries, he may wish to choose the PGCE.
    Whichever route he chooses, he would need to contact NARIC www.naric.org.uk to confirm the equivalence of the qualifications he gained in the States. He must have the equivalent of a British bachelor's degree and general certificates of secondary education (GCSEs) at grade C or above or equivalent qualifications in mathematics and English and science for primary teaching.
    For a wealth of information on gaining QTS, please visit the TDA website www.teach.go..uk.
    Wishing him every success in becoming a teacher in England whichever route he decides to take.

    Graham Holley

Share This Page