1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

US certification

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by penelopefish, Apr 13, 2012.

1. I have found it's easier to get my state's teaching qualifications recognized in another country than in another US state. Many states require you to have an employer to do part of the process of recognizing your qualifications and the job adverts require that you already have certification in that state. Some states require college coursework no matter what your education or experience is and that will be a lot of money, not to mention the time. There are a lot of out of work teachers in the US and they will already be part of the community. I think the numbers are similar for what I've heard in the UK and in reasonably decent international schools: could be more than 150-200 applicants for 1 job. It is not a "normal" job market there now.
    I think the teaching situation in the US, as bad as it is, will have to get much worse before it gets better. There is a lot of attitude of blaming the teacher for not just fixing problems that are deeply rooted in US society. I'm sorry I don't have more positive things to say, but even my friends who have work teaching in the US are miserable with the conditions they have to put up with, which get worse with every passing year. Of course, wealthier districts will be less affected by some of the problems, but eveyone wants to teach in them. I'm sorry for the bad news, but if you would be taking a financial risk to try this, you should know.
    Just as you would research a country you would consider moving to, you should research the particular state. They have a wide range of differences among them in terms affecting teaching work. California will be very different from Texas, which will be very different from Michigan, which will be very different from Louisiana.
    I hope you end up in the kind of environment you would like and am wishing you luck,
    penelope

2. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

Oh sorry, I meant to teach in American curriculum schools abroad, not actually in the US. Do these schools usually require something 'extra' from UK teachers or is it generally a no go?

3. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Most (and there are, of course, exceptions) American curriculum schools would not hesitate to hire a teacher with qualifications from a western, english speaking country.
    In fact most of their profiles on the Search and TIE websites state this.