1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT - where do i stand taking a day off to look after ill baby??

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Millie dog, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

Hello!
    Have just had to rush our LO to the out of hours doctor with high temperature/cold/cough/conjuntivitus. Very under the weather, out of sorts and not her jolly self at all.
    The problem is this....my mum is working tomorrow (her last day ever - if only LO was ill next week!) and whilst OH works from home he is snowed under and hasn't got time to look after her. Just phoned our childminder who has asked that we not bring her round tomorrow.
    Where do i stand taking the day off?? Will it be unpaid?? I have a vague recollection of the government allowing a certain number of days off when the child is under 5 but i could be dreaming?? What are our rights?? I've got PPA tomorrow afternoon so really the school only need to find cover for the morning (although i've never known anyone be allowed PPA away from school grounds...!)
    What's your experience?? Any advice or wise words??
    thanks
    x

2. My work allows 5 days paid then after that unpaid across a year. You need to read your school's absence policy, I don't know if it's the same all over! I'm pretty sure my boss wouldn't deduct pay anyway but I do work at a very nice school!

3. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

First wise words, stop worrying!
    You are right about taking time off for children, but you have to give notice and it is unpaid. Most schools have a policy about staff leave and often you are allowed one day, paid, to sort out alternative care and any time off thereafter is unpaid. Some schools allow you up to 5 days off paid. Once you are back at school, it might be worth asking what your school policy is.
    Some people in your position phone in sick themselves, they know their heads and that is the option they feel best.
    If you phoned in and explained and suggested you took your PPA from home I expect your school would accept that. Could your husband not do half a day, the morning and you come home at lunch time for your PPA?

4. Oh no, Milliedog. Hope LO is better soon. [​IMG]