1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

urgent!!! What days are Asian International Schools open????

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by loujb, Feb 5, 2011.

1. I've just accepted a job in Malaysia at Sayfol International School Kota KInabalu and I've noticed that the start date is a Saturday. Does this mean I'll be expected to work 6 days a week??? I've looked at the entire website and googled it but can't find anything re days

2. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Maybe, but probably not.
    Whichever, you are a lucky sod as it's an amazing place - enjoy!

3. can I ask what you're basing the answer on? Most schools don't expect it?? Ta x

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Most schools will expect you to work the odd Saturday, but the typical week for internatioanl schools here is Mon to Fri. Can't say what Sayfol do though, never heard of them.

5. lennoc

lennoc New commenter

Obviously no one can answer this questions with certainty unless they hapen to know/work at that particular school but it would be unusual for a true international school to include regular Saturday classes (although the expectation at the school I'm at now is that you will work a couple of Saturdays throughout the year). So 3 possibilities:
    1. It is a really odd international school.
    2. It isn't really an international school but just a school that puts the word 'international' in the name.
    3. You've been asked to start on a Saturday because it is some kind of orientation they want you all to attend. I'm presuming you mean you start on a Saturday - not the students.
    Surely the simplest way to find out would be simply to ask them.

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

It's Friday morning and I have a little time on my hands to meddle and stir. In response to the OP's rather daft question:
    Malaysia is a Muslim country and, as such many treat the holy day of Friday as a day of rest and work their school week around that. However having worked in KL most International Schools don't not least because of sports fixtures etc.
    Look at their website, at the moment it has a calendar up for term two. All of the major events, book week, meet the teacher week etc begin on a Monday which probably negates what I wrote at first.

This gives you pause, either you have been done up like the proverbial and you will be working 6 days every week, unlikely unless you are a PE teacher in which case you deserve it for undoubtedly being a poseur, having no marking to do and being illiterate.

Another option would be that your induction starts on a Saturday, this is common, especially in middle to lower tier school where they expect you to work the first weekend to do the cultural bits and then begin teaching straight away. Cheap AND cost effective. Boleh!
    I must say that in this age of the iPad, and the internet it is refreshing to find someone who can Google but if it doesn't come up in Wikipedia it probably doesn't exist. I guess that if all else fails you could just ring them up and ask them?

Percy

Did you know that on this day in 1916 there was French success near Mesnil (Champagne).

7. In India admission started in international schools conform here, here in MCTM International School admission process started for secondary education students simultaneously other international schools may start there admission process, international school may conduction admission test for students for admission

8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Yes. She was called Mademoiselle Fifi la Foutte, une vertueuse de la flute who would lay down her life (and anything else) for France or a glass of Pol Roger. God rest her genereous soul.
    The OP really should find out pronto if the school is expecting a six day working week. My first employers in India (who had no educational background) expected both day and boarding staff to be in school six days a week but wanted me not to disclose this fact until the teachers had actually arrived on campus.
    My colleague Ian, a giant among Maths teachers, never touched an exercise book but simply went through all the written work in class. His results were excellent with pupils of all abilities and the kiddies loved their sums, all of which tended to confirm what many of us HTs suspect about the marking mill but never quite have the courage to confront. Mind you, Ian wasn't gigantic in all respects, but suffered from a shortcoming his missus often used to refer to when she had downed a few at staff parties.

9. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

I have just seen off our brave PE troops who are bussing to a remote and freezing corner of the country where they will spend the next 36 hours with their young charges at the rain-lashed All-Ruritania Schools' Cross-Country Challenge hosted by the resolutely inhospitable International School of Porcaria.
    Having chickened out of that trip, I'll now return home to make a nourishing oxtail stew as a winter warmer for my ladies, to be washed down with a litre of choice local vintage, after which I shall slumber plumply in front of the Six Nations bum-sniff on TV. Not a scrap of filthy marking in sight, why does one fawn and flatter and back-stab and scramble up the greasy pole of promotion if not to get away from marking?
    When my favourite tracksuited Amazon warrior-woman returns to civilisation with her finely muscled frame exhausted and chilled to its very marrow, I will tell her about your post, Perce, and believe me you are in for the most tremendous flogging...

10. Adds to Hotlist and waits for the fireworks!!!
    [​IMG]