1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT recipe needed

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Dec 18, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

sorry - don't get Indian takeaway ever -- is it raita?

2. yes, but there is something I am not getting in my homemade version!
    We only get the onion salad from our takeaway... it is a 30 minute drive away, but I LOVE the salad and sauce. So Climber gets it (and popadoms) for me and I make the rest! They think it is very funny and often include a different odd thing for me to try (fried aubergines in chilli oil was great) , sad, but true!

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

The stuff you get from takeaways here seems to be onions, ketchup, tamarind, and a little bit of mint sauce.

4. There's turmeric in the one I am after. It is a little sweet....and no, they won't give me the recipe, they think it is funny, presumably because it is very simple!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'll see if I can find out, I'm quite friendly with a couple of the Indian chefs here. Does Mamta not have an answer? Email her and ask.

6. I did one which consisted of yogurt, mint sauce, and mango chutney. I cant find the recipe but it was pretty good.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think it's just lemon juice and salt, Pobbs. Both render the raw lemon fairly sweet.

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I've always understood that raita is a yoghurt and cucumber or herb thin, designed to cool the palate, but I'm open to be corrected by the better informed.

9. Try adding guava to the basic raita

10. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Yep- You're right MM. The spicy onions given away with poppadoms up here are dressed in ketchup, mint sauce and tamarind.

11. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Mango chutney.... tamarind.... I'll try them both anyway!
    Si, I'm not convinced that ketchup is right for what I am trying, but I'll give that a whirl too.

And lapin, I daren't ask such a simple question.... I'm embarrassed, especially given the giggles of the chefs who make it here!