1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent query - referees for NQT/Supply

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rugby_gal06, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT who started supply in September and I'm currently finishing off a job application. My question is, do I keep to using university and my final placement teacher tutor or include my supply agency as well? There are only two boxes - so if I include all three, do I put one of them on the cover letter?
    Thank you.

2. If you had a long term placement and they want/can give you a ref ask them. If you are in a current placement and on good terms, ask someone to observe so they can write a reference.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would be inclined to use uni tutor & placement observer as a supply agency is unlikely yo be able to provide much of a reference- especially if you haven't had much work & therefore feedback.

4. thekillers

thekillers Occasional commenter

Final placement tutor, as well as the supply agency, since they'll give feedback on your performance; besides, you could a previous headteacher to provide a written reference.

5. I'm in the same position also, my form only has two spaces and states I must provide my current employers detail or most recent employment, I just started supply teaching two weeks ago, so not much there but they have stated that I must put current so I suppose I will have to put them............ Its very fustrating because they don't know me as well and have never saw me teach, so I don't know what they will be able to say...........
    Let me know what you decide to put in the end................ ; )

6. Hi Poppy, I put down my supply agency - the one I have done the most work for since September and my final placement tutor. I agree with what you say about supply agencies having never seen you teach, but I think schools just want confirmation that you were doing something rather than a detailed reference. If you've only been doing supply for two weeks, I would maybe stick with Uni and your final placement. Hope this helps!