1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT! NQT fail on 2nd term not 3rd?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by welshwizard, Apr 8, 2011.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Induction is 3 terms you only fail at the end of term 3
    Each term the assessment reports progress towards meeting the standards and the fail means may not meet standards by end of 3rd term.
    QTS is a permanent status- failing induction means deregistration as a teacher
    Download and read the guidance from the TDA website- check if your LA or school produces an Induction Handbook or guidance
    The mentor and you now have to form an Action Plan to cover how you will meet the standards by the end of summer term

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm so sick of reading stories like this on this forum!! Schools and LAs must follow specific rules when it comes to induction and reduing your induction by a whole term is simply not allowed! I'm fed up of hearing about schools who short change their NQTs....don't allow them to do this!

3. I agree with the other posters here. Also having read all the guidance word for word and the only way you can lose your QTS is because there is a professional misconduct issue(s).
    If you have done something that amounts to professional misconduct and it is seen as a serious breach of the GTC's code of conduct, then yes the GTC can take your QTS away from you. I am only guessing here - only you know yourself if this is the case and whether there has been an issue that has prompted the management to say this to you. The appopriate authorities would have to however present a 'case' against you to the GTC to pursue this.

4. Nah, if you fail to meet the standards at the end of phase/term 3 you lose your QTS.

I resigned anyway. I'd had enough. Best get my bum over to the 'Unemployed Teachers' forum!

5. You don't lose QTS. Saying that a teacher loses QTS is like saying that a failing English teacher loses her BA English degree.

6. No No No. Like the others here have said, you do not lose your QTS if you fail induction on not meeting the core standards. The result is you cannot be employed as a teacher in mainstream schools but still keep QTS after failing. You can also appeal to the LEA to meet standards in a 4th term.
    I don't know who's been talking to you or why you have the misperceived notion above.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

To clarify the issue yes QTS is conferred through ITT it is permanent
    Registration as a teacher is currently via the GTCE and you can be removed from that register. teachers celebrating the loss of the GTCE should consider who will then be responsible for teacher registration no other than Mr Gove!

8. This is nonsense. Induction lasts for three terms and you do not pass or fail term by term. You are assessed as to your progress in terms 1 and 2 and even if the assessment is not making satisfactory progress you cannot be failed early. The fail only happens at the end of term three and then only after a whole host of support, extra training and assessments ahev been made by the school and the LA.
    QTS is recommended by the training provider where you did ITT and is conferred by the GTCE at present. Even if you fail your induction year in term three you can appeal and be given an extension by the LA. If the extension is not granted or, after the extension you still fail then you do not lose QTS - you have that for life - but you are prevented from being employed as a teacher in the state maintained sector. You could still get work in the private sector or, as I am led to believe in one of the new 'free schools' once set up.
    James