1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT new boy with ADHD starting in my Year 3 class this week... need a few tips, please.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by KindDog, Apr 25, 2011.

1. hi.
    I have a new boy, aged 8, starting in my Year 3 class this week.
    When he came to visit the class for one lesson last term, he exhibited the following behaviours:
    • burst into the class arms flayling, while others sat calmly on carpet ,and proceeded to pick up and take a closer look at random objects around the room, before sitting down.
    • pulled shirt up right over his head so that his face couldnt be seen, whilst I was talking to him 1:1
    • rocking back and forth in his seat when placed with a 'buddy' at the computer
    • generally being quite vocal/ making involuntary (?) noises.
    Now, I had no warning that this child has any additional needs,and was quite taken aback by his behaviour.
    I didnt ignore his behaviour when it impacted on others- for example I explained that in this class we have a rule that we sit quietly and listen to each other, taking turns to talk, when on the carpet. However, I was slightly at a loss as to how to respond, given that I had no warning about his visit, let alone his needs! (Shocking- I know!)
    I really want to 'get it right' with this boy, and to try to meet his needs, but also to establish reasonable and realistic boundaries for his sake and mine, and also so that the others in the class feel that I'm being consistent.
    We had two children with very challenging behaviour leave our class at Xmas, and are at last on the right track towards creating a purposeful learning environment with high expectations of behaviour.
    If anyone could advise me on how to respond to the sorts of behaviours mentioned above, and maybe give me some good 'one liners' that I can use when setting boundaries/ responding to bizarre behaviour, I'd be very grateful!
    Ps my first repsonse when I met this child was ASD, but the last school said not, and are glossing over his issues and saying possibly ADHD...

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi, cannot believe you was not forwarned about this child. Does he not have a statement IEP or any other info from his last school that you can read, this is as you have said very shocking. What has your SENCO had to say about this, you sound a very caring teacher but until you have some background info on this child you are going to need some help off some sort so as not to distrupt the rest off your class in their learning. Do you have a class Ta who could perhaps guide the child on entry to the classroom of a morning explaining in simple terms how to enter the class, displaying a visual timetable to show the child what will be happening during the day. As you say yes you do need boundaries, the child needs to know the class rules and the consequences of breaking these rules, also lots of praise even for the smallest things that are achieved, do you have a reward system of some sort in place that can be used to back up the good behaviour. I'm sure you will get there in the end once the child knows his routine, what is acceptable and what is not.

3. Tamtams, thanks for your post. He has had 2 terms at junior school, and is already moving school.
    Our SENCO is now on the case, but even she didnt know about his visit or his needs! It was a communication ***-up actually, due to an error made by office staff. No one else really to blame. Hope to get some more info soon re IEP etc.
    I really think the old school are playing down his needs, as they are probably quite keen that he moves on... just a hunch- call me cynical!
    Agree that using the TA would be good. Maybe I could get her and a small group of children to go through our class code and give him a chance to ask any questions he may have in a small group.

Any other tips, folks? Especially about responding to bizarre behaviour??

4. Hi
    I work with SEN pupils and also my son has ADHD - some things that may assist you until you get support.
    1. Keep to routines - always do the same things if possible - maybe even use a visual timetable so that he always knows what is next.
    2. If you want his attention - say his name first - then give him the instruction
    3. Give him something quiet to fiddle with - our son could move across the room on his chair without anyone being aware of him moving - he just wiggled!
    4. Ignore some of the behaviour - choose your battles - if he is doing something you don't like - tell him that you will talk to him when he is quiet/sitting etc.
    5. Reinforce the behaviour you want - stickers/treats/attention whatever works for him - it may be that you will be rewarding him and not the other pupils - but he needs to learn that it is in his interests to do as he is asked.
    6. Praise the rest of the pupils (which you have been doing) when they are doing what you want - he will learn what is appropriate!
    It is not insurmountable - our son is now in year 7 at a grammar school - never thought we would get there - but just be consistent. You obviously want to give him a chance and help him from the fact you are posting on here!
    Good luck!

5. I think dazzlingdiamonddust is absolutely right.

I am HT at a small alternative independent school (knit your own sandals, lessons optional etc!)
    our strategy would be very similar. Also it does sound like the ADHD is quite pronounced so it may well be whole days and whole lessons will be too much for him, at least initially. There is no point setting him up to fail, he must be set up to win, but equally the rest of the class must get an education. You will need to form a close relationship with his parents if you want to know how best to handle him. If they have no idea, which does happen, you may be able to gently suggest some strategies and dietary changes etc.

I wouldn't neccessarily say that there is anything else going on except ADHD either. We have several who do bounce off the walls and are very challenging.

Is he medicated? Sometimes, especially when they are younger it really helps, but equally it can be seen as a cure all and that means that oftentimes parents then go back to bad habits hoping that the drugs will do their hard work for them and this is not the case.

Persistence, patience, flexibility and short stints will probably be your best strategies. Get together a fiddle box filled with a variety of stretchy bendy fiddlables to keep him occupied.