1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT - Music Technology Edexcel AS level - Results???

Discussion in 'Music' started by performerscollective, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Does anyone feel that their students coursework element of the Edexcel MUSIC TECHNOLOGY AS level has been undermarked? Has anyone had remarks that have changed very little?

2. Does anyone feel that their students coursework element of the Edexcel MUSIC TECHNOLOGY AS level has been undermarked? Has anyone had remarks that have changed very little?

3. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Mine were fine. Are you a member here?
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/asa2musictechnology/?yguid=270207005Probably a better place to ask.

4. YES ! Please see my thread
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/515198/7007334.aspx#7007334
    Please feel free to get in touch with me - I'd like to chat about this problem ! I'm furious !!!

5. I had a very strong candidate who submitted a top class portfolio. He is a top grade musician and gained a top A at Music AS.
    He actually wrote out the full score for his sequenced arrangement and his log book was the most comprehensive I have ever seen!
    His coursework mark was a D and although he got a high B for the listening paper, ended up with a C overall. I had confidently predicted an A.
    Another student got an A for listening and an U for coursework - ending up with an E
    5 of my 6 candidates got U's for their coursework
    The lowest mark was 36. Which I consider to be more than an insullt!

All of my candidates completed their coursework to a satisfactory standard I was expecting a range from A toE.
    I go0t a D and E and 4 U's. My weakest candidate, who agreed that his work was " a bit scruffy" ended up as the 2nd highest mark!

The remarks were stretchjed
    Top mark up 5 lowest mark down 5 and the rest adjusted. I doubt they were remarked at all!

In the first year which we did the course (2009) iI had 2 x A 1 x B and 1 x C for coursework (4 candidates)
    Last year only one of my 6 candidates gained a pass grade (D ) downgraded to an E in the remark.

Enough said
    I am totally " cheesed off" for want of a better word!
    Would welcome comments!

NB. My school are supporting me in taking this further - at great expense!!

6. I had a very strong candidate who submitted a top class portfolio. He is a top grade musician and gained a top A at Music AS.
    He actually wrote out the full score for his sequenced arrangement and his log book was the most comprehensive I have ever seen!
    His coursework mark was a D and although he got a high B for the listening paper and ended up with a C overall. I had confidently predicted an A.
    Another student got an A for listening and an U for coursework - ending up with an E
    5 of my 6 candidates got U's for their coursework
    The lowest mark was 36. Which I consider to be more than an insult!

All of my candidates completed their coursework to a satisfactory standard. I was expecting a range from A to E.
    I got a D and E and 4 U's. My weakest candidate, who agreed that his work was "a bit scruffy" ended up as the 2nd highest mark!

The re-marks were stretched
    Top mark up 5, lowest mark down 5, and the rest adjusted. I doubt they were remarked at all!

In the first year which we did the course (2009) I had 2 x A 1 x B and 1 x C for coursework (4 candidates)
    Last year only one of my 6 candidates gained a pass grade (D ) downgraded to an E in the remark.
    I don't believe that my standards have dropped that much.

Enough said
    I am totally "cheesed off" for want of a better word!
    Would welcome comments!

NB. My school are supporting me in taking this further - at great expense!!

7. My HOD is running running a letter of complaint to the exam board following un-successful remarks as we still do not know why they have been marked so low. If you would like to be represented also in this letter (6 other schools represented so far), please get in touch.