1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent! How much does a coach hire cost for a day trip?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by angelfish1, Apr 17, 2008.

1. May depend on when you elave/come back. In our county if you leave about 9.15 and get back before the afternoon bus run, then it's quite cheap. If you wanted a whole day, then at least £100 I would guess.

2. real problem here is that youll have lots of empty seats as most coaches are around the 50 seater mark.
    Dont think weve ever had a coach for £100 but wouldnt know re the London trip you ask about. Think all you can really do is ring companies

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Shockingly expensive!

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

In the south East where we are the cheapest coach company is around £250 mark :(

I wish we could get one for £100!! Blimey thats so cheap

5. Thanks guys... It is shocking because it's a free trip (museum) and would only need the coach from 12-5. We are in an awkward place in Barnet and need to get to central London... public transport is not easy with 30 5-6 year olds. x

6. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

For us to get to Bristol and back from near Cheddar during school time, i.e. coach can still be used for the school run, is about £150. About 50 mile round trip plus waiting time.

7. We took 60 children from Dover to London a couple of weeks ago. it cost £690 for the day! Its ridiculously expensive, and the school had to subsidise some of the cost, otherwise the children woudn't have been able to afford to go. Entrance to the museums were free!

8. Our recent 20 mile trip cost £200. Set off 9:15, back by 2:45. Coach stayed all day.
    It is the most expensive part of school trips.

9. Why not ring a few coach companies? They should be able to give you a quote within an hour or two and you may see quite a difference between them. Our last trip was quoted at £115 by one and £85 by another. Guess which I booked?

10. Have been quoted £760 + £22 parking today for a trip from North Essex to the Natural History Museum in London. This is for 75 children and approximately 12 adults. We will have to charge £11 for their trip and will end up subsidising those who just cannot afford it. It is a shame that it will cost so much as the museum is free!

11. If in school time we use the secondary school bus company. So as long as we don't need a pick up before 9a.m and before 2.45p.m they are cheaper than other bus companies. On the down side though they can be quite grubby! May be worth looking into.

12. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

We're doing a trip to Leeds Castle - £5 entry fee but £9 each for the coach.