1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent- help!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by senoritacorazon, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hello all. I'm seeking some advice

I have just flown to the south of Spain, after being offered a post as a Secondary teacher of English.

However, I have been given 2 classes (8hrs a week) doing this.

The rest of my timetable (18hours) I have been put down as support, for yeasr 4,5,6. I have been told by a previous member of staff that this means I will be a glorified classroom assistant.

I am very concerned, and very unhappy that I will not have a proper teaching timetable, although I would enjoy a bit of a supporting role.

When the school showed me this timetable, they said it might change.

I have signed no contract nor found accommodation so far . I have no idea what to do.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice?

Many thanks!

2. Are they paying? If so, lie back, enjoy the sunshine and Rioja. There are worse ways to get shafted, beleive you me.

3. Im just concerned about what damage this will do my career! :(

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Is the salary OK? Will you be paid the whole year, rather than being cheated with a 10 month contract. AND, is there a GOOD chance that you will get a full or nearly full timetable in your own subject next year?

If you are sure that the answer to all these is yes, then maybe it's not a bad way of getting your foot in the door. Otherwise your concern about your career is probably justified.

5. If it doesn't affect your salary, then lay back and think of England. Make a good friend of whoever is going to write your reference and don't forget the sunscreen.

6. tica

tica New commenter

If pay and conditions are the same then I agree with the other posters - stick with it. However, look on this as an opportunity.Rather than considering yourself a 'glorified classroom assistant' make the job your own - withdraw weaker groups or individuals instead of just being another body in the classroom.Set up your own remedial programmes. You could be enhancing your cv rather than damaging future prospects.
    Buena suerte.

7. MrDoc

MrDoc New commenter

Instead of withdrawing kids, work with the classroom teacher to plan and teach in an inclusive manner that will benefit everyone.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

If I arrived at work this year and someone told me that I was going to work as a teaching assistant for the same pay as I have been receiveing as a head of Department, I would think I had hit the jackpot.
    Mind you, I am working towards retirement so this would be a nice way to wind down ...... [​IMG]