1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent help please: Baby's passport refused and stuck overseas- Can't return to work after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by cool09, Aug 8, 2012.

1. cool09

cool09 New commenter

Hi,
    My husband, 3 year old elder son and I are British citizens. I gave birth in India and my baby's British passport application is refused only because the counter-signatory's reply wasn't satisfactory. We submitted a letter of explanation from the counter-signatory and also provided two more counter-signatories. But the British high commission is adamant that the refusal is final. They are asking me to reapply which will take 4-5 months. My local MP in the UK wrote to the home office, but I haven't received any reply from them. I have already returned to work on the first day of summer holiday and so have to go back to work on 3rd September. The sad thing is my husband travelled with my 3 year old son to the UK three weeks ago as we were expecting to get the passport in a few days and he couldn't extend his holiday. He has early morning and late night shifts and there is no one to look after our son. My Indian visa is expiring in 3 weeks time and I will have to leave my 7 month old asthmatic baby with his grandmother who is in her late sixties with lot of health problems. Can you suggest what I can do to get the passport quickly? I haven't slept for 3 weeks, we tried everything we can - My local MP in India spoke to the High Commissioner and explained my situation, but no one at the British high commission is sympathetic.
    He is not eligible for Indian passport as both parents are foreign citizens and the high commission says he can't get emergency travel document as this is first time appliction.
    Thanks

2. cool09

cool09 New commenter

Hi,
    My husband, 3 year old elder son and I are British citizens. I gave birth in India and my baby's British passport application is refused only because the counter-signatory's reply wasn't satisfactory. We submitted a letter of explanation from the counter-signatory and also provided two more counter-signatories. But the British high commission is adamant that the refusal is final. They are asking me to reapply which will take 4-5 months. My local MP in the UK wrote to the home office, but I haven't received any reply from them. I have already returned to work on the first day of summer holiday and so have to go back to work on 3rd September. The sad thing is my husband travelled with my 3 year old son to the UK three weeks ago as we were expecting to get the passport in a few days and he couldn't extend his holiday. He has early morning and late night shifts and there is no one to look after our son. My Indian visa is expiring in 3 weeks time and I will have to leave my 7 month old asthmatic baby with his grandmother who is in her late sixties with lot of health problems. Can you suggest what I can do to get the passport quickly? I haven't slept for 3 weeks, we tried everything we can - My local MP in India spoke to the High Commissioner and explained my situation, but no one at the British high commission is sympathetic.
    He is not eligible for Indian passport as both parents are foreign citizens and the high commission says he can't get emergency travel document as this is first time appliction.
    Thanks

3. Crikey! I'm sorry but I have no idea how to help nor have any advice to offer that you haven't already tried. I'm not surprised you're stressed and haven't slept for 3 weeks! It amazes me's how unhelpful people can be - and you're baby's only 7 months poor thing. They can't surely expect you to leave your baby; that's just cruel! Would the authorities accept a faxed counter-signatory? Probably not. The only thing I can suggest which is ridiculously expensive and most likely not an option at all, is to travel all the way back to UK for a day or so and go to the place that does passports on the spot, meeting the person who was your counter-signatory. In fact, it's a ludicrous suggestion and is unfathomable even writing it, so sorry! No advice I'm afraid but good luck sorting it!

4. contact a national newspaper - any - the times, telegraph, even the daily mail - and get your situation into the papers. once there's an outcry the government will get involved.

5. Ooh! That's a much better suggestion than what I came up with!

6. I agree with the previous poster. My husband went to the passport office for my daughter's passport. There's even a same day service (ours arrived within 2 days). Your husband could get it and post it to you. Just make sure he has the form and all supporting documents. My hubby had to go back twice because he hadn't taken her full birth certificate.

Also, if things didn't get sorted before your return to work day, you are entitled to parental leave days. I'm sure this situation would justify the need for these days!

Sorry for any typos. I've never done this from my phone before. I'll find the links for the passport office and parental leave days when DD is having her nap.

Take care x

7. The passport website
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/ips/passports/

To find the nearest passport office to your husband
    http://maps.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/MapAction.do?ref=passportinterviewoffices

The nut Web page with the parental leave doc to download
    http://www.teachers.org.uk/node/12152

For some reason, all my paragraphs seem to disappear when I post from my phone.

I hope you get sorted soon x

8. I obviously mis-read the bit that said your OH was in the UK. I echo what Bumblybee wrote about getting your OH to do it. There is still time, just .....! Fingers crossed it gets sorted out x

9. cool09

cool09 New commenter

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. Unfortunately my husband can't apply from the UK. Since baby is abroad, we need to apply from the country he is now. I received a reply from my MP to reapply and home office will process the application quickly, but not sure if I will get it before September.