1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT Help needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mandi2302, Apr 16, 2012.

1. I need to decide today what book to use in my interview and i just cannot decide, and therefore am looking for your expert opinions
    The book is to be shared with a year 2 child who lacks social confidence, to encourage speech development.
    My 2 choices are:
    Tiddler - i think this would be good for speech development as has lots of rhyme and repitition, however although a lovely story, i'm not sure it will cover the social element.
    My other choice is:
    Giraffes can't dance - this story has lots of social themes running through it, and lots of rhyme, however does not have the all important repitition to encourage speech development.
    I have thought of loads of activities to do which each book,however if anyone has any suggestions i am open to ideas.
    If you were in my position which would you choose
    Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Look at your lesson objective. Presumable something along the lines of encouraging the development of a wider vocabulary in speech/ awareness of rhyme using repetition whatever and then your choice becomes clear.
    If your primary objective were 'to develop awareness of social themes' the answer would be different. So looking at your LO is the main indicator.

3. i don't have a lo, it is for an TA interview and i have only been told that it needs to be a book to read to a child who lacks social confidence to develop speech.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd go wit the speech one. If he lacks social confidence it won't show very much in a 1:1 situation with you.

I'd share the one with rhyme for him to join in and say why you chose it.

5. thanks for your help, that was my thinking, but i just can't make e decision!!

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Do the one you feel strongest, but bring both and explain that you had a hard time choosing and what you would do in the next lesson. (i.e. the other story)

7. Tiddler's a lovely story and it's all about storytelling so I would say it's perfect for what you need to do. You could talk about the way stories are passed on - I love the ending where they explain how the story was told to a writer friend. It's set in an underwater school - are there ideas there for talking about friends at school e.g. who does each fish sit next to? Do you think they are friends? Do you sit with your friends? Do you have friends outside school? etc.