1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH SIMILES!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by looloo38, Mar 15, 2011.

1. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi all

I am an NQT being observed on Thursday in Literacy. I have had a awful week being really ill, a long tiring parents evening and I have not had a single minute to plan my lesson and need your help. I am planning to teach similes and my
    focus is on differentiation. I would have much preferred numeracy for this focus as i find it easier in maths however thats what i have to do.

I am teaching year 2 and they have been introduced to similes before however fairly briefly. My current topic is on animals and i wanted to try and link it. My issue with similes are the traditional phrases such as 'light as a feather' i want to steer clear of these as i want them to be creative.

Any ideas on how i can differentiate this and how i can include computers for one group?

Any help will be very much appreciated

Thank you x

2. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

You could attempt to make an Animal Alphabet using similies. Your lower group could have a list of animals on a sheet for support.
    e.g.
    .... as <u>_____tiny_____</u> as an ant
    .... as _____silent_____ as a bat

You could extend your higher group by changing the type of similie and describing the animal's movement.
    e.g.
    ... like a <u>____graceful____</u> eagle, <u>__soaring over the distant valley__</u>

OR
    If you want to steer them away from the typical 'light as a feather' simile, give them some of these familiar ones and get them to come up with as many different versions as they can.
    e.g.
    <u>as light as a feather</u>
    as light as a a fluffy blanket
    as light as a summer's morning
    as light as whipped egg white
    as light as a newborn baby

Remember, you don't need everything whizzy-bangy just because it's an Obs lesson. Just make sure that you support the children who need it and push the ones who are capable further. SHOW your observer that they know how to get better at their work and can explain what the purpose of the lesson is.

And finally, bloody plan it earlier than two days beforehand, next time!

3. inq

inq

http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/using_similes/eng/Introduction/default.htm
    for an ICT based activity - the main session part 1:1 lets you match pictures to similes to form traditional similes and part 1:2 lets you use a fruit machine to form new similes, these could then be recorded and decide if they are suitable/ sensible e.g I got The boy ran like a baby, His kick was liek a graveyard.
    The starter in this lesson lets you highlight similes in a poem - this would work well to check that children were secure with what a simile was.

4. inq

inq

http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/using_similes/eng/Introduction/default.htm
    for an ICT based activity - the main session part 1:1 lets you match pictures to similes to form traditional similes and part 1:2 lets you use a fruit machine to form new similes, these could then be recorded and decide if they are suitable/ sensible e.g I got The boy ran like a baby, His kick was liek a graveyard.
    The starter in this lesson lets you highlight similes in a poem - this would work well to check that children were secure with what a simile was.

5. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Thank you so much this is a great idea. I know i'm awful for leaving it late - how school life takes over eh?! Thank you, thank you x

6. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

"And finally, bloody plan it earlier than two days beforehand, next time!"
    Speaking as someone who spent over a week preparing for a recent Parents' Evening and 5 hours sitting through it without a break, I can well understand that OP found the observation looming without having had much time to spend on preparation.
    Why do people say things like this on a forum that's meant for mutual support?(isn't it?) We could tell this person to "bloody learn how to spell simile before preaching to others", but we wouldn't, would we?

7. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Did you somehow fail to see the support I *did* give to the original poster? It's not like I just came on here and told them to prepare earlier. Did the use of an exclamation mark and 'bloody' not convey strongly enough my fairly tongue-in-cheek final comment? Did you actually help the OP at all?
    As for my misspelling, I consider myself corrected. Thank you.

[​IMG]

8. You could use some of these "worst similes ever":
    http://tlc.ousd.k12.ca.us/~acody/analogies.html
    And do a contrast with some "good" ones that you've written yourself. Or get the kids to vote on them.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

'As something as a something' is not a good model fro a simile. Too often it approaches cliche.