1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent help needed-TeachingJob Opportunities in Oman

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ElspethSorrel, May 20, 2011.

1. ElspethSorrel

ElspethSorrel New commenter

Hi all,

Looking for some helpful advice on teaching abroad, specifically in Oman. Firstly, if I was to move out to Oman in December (due to husband's job) how likely would it be that I could find a teacher of English job within the first few weeks or months? Would it be more likely that I'd have to wait until the September start of the new academic year?

I would ideally be looking to teach in an international school, so that my experiences will still be relatively in line with the British education system for when we return to the UK. However, what other opportunities to teach are there out there?

Finally, has any one felt that teaching abroad had a negative impact on acquiring jobs once they returned to the UK? Also, if I have to wait a number of months to get a job whilst out there, could this period of unemployment have a negative effect on future job applications?

Any help greatly appreciated!

While I am at it, has anyone had experience of bringing pet cats back from Oman? How was your quarantine experience or did you find a way around this?

Looking forward to your responses.

Els

2. ElspethSorrel

Hi all,

Looking for some helpful advice on teaching abroad, specifically in Oman. Firstly, if I was to move out to Oman in December (due to husband's job) how likely would it be that I could find a teacher of English job within the first few weeks or months? Would it be more likely that I'd have to wait until the September start of the new academic year?

I would ideally be looking to teach in an international school, so that my experiences will still be relatively in line with the British education system for when we return to the UK. However, what other opportunities to teach are there out there?

Finally, has any one felt that teaching abroad had a negative impact on acquiring jobs once they returned to the UK? Also, if I have to wait a number of months to get a job whilst out there, could this period of unemployment have a negative effect on future job applications?

Any help greatly appreciated!

While I am at it, has anyone had experience of bringing pet cats back from Oman? How was your quarantine experience or did you find a way around this?

Looking forward to your responses.

Els

3. When you get there, take your c.v round to the 3 main schools - Brit schl, ABA & sultan's. There is always a demand for supply & that usually leads to a permanent job after a while. You may not have to wait til Sept as people do have to move on, esp if local hire teacher on a husband's visa etc. You'll be in demand!
    You'll love Oman - enjoy!
    P.S I know nothing about cats but know lots of people do take with them so assume it's easy.

4. ElspethSorrel

Thanks so much for the prompt response,

E x

5. As said above, there is sometimes the odd job going for January.
    Apart from supply work, there's a lot of TEFL around, too. Many teachers pick up private tutoring.

6. ElspethSorrel

Thanks sidinz,
    Do you have personal experience of Muscat/Oman? Any general advice?

7. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I am living and working in Muscat, as I suspect the other respondents are.
    I can only echo what they have already said, in my school ( which is one of the 'big' three mentioned earlier) there is a constant need for supply teachers, and it is not hard to build up a good reputation (assuming you are 'good').

8. ElspethSorrel

Thank you so much for your reply. I am frightened really of moving out there, having finished working here, along with having handing in my dissertation for my MEd at the same time, and then sit out in Oman with nothing to do. This of course would be nice for about two weeks, but then I'd be bored out of my mind!

Sounds like there are many opportunities out there for me, if like you say I am 'good'!
    Thanks again!

9. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

A CELTA is what you need, I think. They cost about a thousand pounds and a month's very hard (but very practical) work. A CELTA virtually guarantees you a reasonably paid job at the end of it. A CELTA adds sparkle to your CV, especially as just about every international school will have a significant number of students for whom English is not their first language. I recommend an outfit called International House.
    By the way, Mrs Hippo and I have been on holiday five times in Oman. It is our favourite country in the Middle East. You lucky thing!
    As for this business of getting a job if and when you return to the UK, I would not bother worrying about this. Once you have started teaching in international schools, the chances are that you will not want to return to the land of rain, lager louts, football hooligans, Council Tax, more rain, very expensive petrol, extra rain, TV licences, rude and aggressive parents, outrageous ticket prices for travelling by overcrowded trains, Car Tax, additional rain, VAT, expensive meals that taste disgusting, Ofsted, even more rain, Income Tax and having to pay for parking (in the rain).

10. it is a long way from muscat to the south of oman - salalah. to be blunt, my impression is that if you live in muscat you will barely notice saudi and yemen exist. dubai-muscat is a road trip which many people have done and the uae is the country you will be most aware of. i think, perhaps oman based people can clarify, there has been no terrorist attack on the sultanate which makes it very safe compared to virtually everywhere else. i find oman a very chilled place. your biggest danger all over the middle east is the way people drive.

11. ElspethSorrel

Thanks Schomberg-this seemsto be the same type of feedback I am getting from all. Looks like Muscat could be going ahead.......
    Any other posts most welcome.

12. I agree. Muscat has not had the unrest that flared up briefly in Salalah or up the coast.Compared to other Arab states it is an oasis of peace.
    And yes, if you go out on the roads - keep your wits about you. The road safety statistics (road safety, what's that?) are absolutely horrendous.

13. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Well, the driving in Muscat is a bit hairy, sidinz, but the actual roads in Oman are a positive delight, some of the very best in the Middle East.

14. ElspethSorrel

Which areas would you recommend to live in?

We've been advised towards Ghubrah, Medinat al Alam, Qurum, Khuwair, Madinet Sultan Qaboos and Al Azaiba. Any advice?

Thanks