1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent! HELP! lesson observation - special needs class

Discussion in 'Science' started by pippa_anne, May 9, 2012.

1. Hi, I have a lesson observation on Friday for a special needs job and was after a few ideas!
    There are 8 KS2 ASD children in the class with abilities that range from P8 - 2a and varying levels of Autism. I have been asked to teach a half hour lesson on a theme of my choice. I have worked in special schools before however not knowing the children's level of autism is throwing me!
    With the children needing structure and routine, and not being able to work in pairs or groups I was thinking of doing a creative activity? There are 3 or 4 support staff in the class aswell.

Any ideas at all would be great! Thank you!

2. It is possible for people to spend hours of THEIR time writing ideas in detail for you to say "no, that doesn't fit in with my resources / situation / desires."
    Why don't YOU outline YOUR ideas and ask for comments?

3. Reviewing things, and seeing that this was your first post, let me welcome you to the forum and assure you that there is lots of good advice available here.
    However, you really ought to consider what you portray in your post and how much people need to know if they are to offer help.
    When I started teaching 40y ago (sorry, but it has been mainstream Secondary throughout, so I'll probably not be able to actually do much) I would have loved to be told "do what you want" but a primary concern was always to ensure progression and, eventually, good exam grades. I MIGHT be able to show you interesting lesson plans relating to electrical power distribution and how suppliers across Europe have solved the problem in their country. My pupils could spend hours looking at a variety of designs for pylons and then create their own versions in a fulfilling and exciting manner. BUT, it almost certainly wouldn't fit in with your aims and it certainly wouldn't be delivered by you in the same way that I would do it.
    SO: what interests you? What is your great scientific passion of the moment? Perhaps you don't have one, because you are a polymath, like Steven Fry? If that is the case, any school will be lucky! Perhaps you don't have one, because you are a "go through the motions" bore. If that is the case, any school would do well to avoid you. [​IMG]. Probably you are somewhere in between: find something you like, know about and wish to transmit to other people - that will ensure you appear at your best in the interview.
    Please give the lesson some thought, post your ideas on here, and hopefully someone will be able to point you in the direction of good resources, clever activities or potential pitfalls. Good luck.

4. Dangerous to assume pupils with asd can't work in pairs or groups. With enough ta support, put them to work in pairs. As for content, I wouldn't dream of telling you what you are comfortable teaching