1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

urgent - changing date of return to work

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by cool09, Jun 30, 2012.

1. cool09

cool09 New commenter

My baby is born abroad and I am planning to return to work in the last week of summer term. But I haven't received his british passport yet to travel to the uk. (Applicationfrom outside EU takes 4-5 months).
    I e-mailed my head teacher to inform that I may not be able to return on 16th July if I don't get the passport within a week. He replied that I need to give notice if don't return on 16th July. If I don't get passport by 10th July, then I will e-mail him that I will return on 1st August (21 days notice period). If I don't get passport by then,do I give another 21days notice which will be 22nd August? Then I will only be paid for the last week of August. HT said my return day has to be a Sunday (may be to calculate salary easily).
    Please send your suggestions

2. Does your school have the 6 week summer holiday? If so you could just give the first day of the holiday as your return to work date then it doesn't matter if you and your baby are back as you won't have to be in school.
    Your head might try and tell you that you can't do this without working so many days at the end of term. If they do they're talking **** becasue you can!

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You do NOT have to return on a Sunday. You can return on the first day of the holiday, and if you do so, you are entitled to be out of the country for the entire duration of the summer holidays if you so choose. So give notice that you're returning on the first day of the holiday, and you're safe unless the passport still hasn't arrived in time for the new school year.

4. I returned on the first day of the summer hols last year and didn't go in. They used to be able to make you stipulate a Sunday but the law changed some years ago. Don't worry about it - your HT might not like it but not much they can do about it.

5. cool09

cool09 New commenter

No, my SMP will run out in the last week of July.

6. cool09

cool09 New commenter

Thanks a million to everyone for their advice. The school has accepted my return date as 22nd July which is a Sunday because SMP is paid from Sunday-Saturday.