1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT boiler help needed!! I cant wait until 8am for a phone call

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Tara Jane, Feb 4, 2012.

1. boiler has decided to stop - Worcester Bosch 30CDi. Last year pipes froze and MrTJ and i spent ages pouring water onto our external pipes (not helped by new boiler being installed in the airing cupboard).
    Anyway today no hot water or heating; it is no longer snowing and seems to be slushy. There is no pilot light and there INST a flashing EA (as there was last time). When we press the reset button for 3 secs the pump seems to catch and the figure goes up to 90 and then stops.

Been on the Greenstar webpage and tried to down load the manual but then says it needs a file conversion to open it! Help which button should i press:- windows default or MS DOS or other encoding

Called Eon and because my children are not under 3 and we have no one aged over 70 they will call us after 8am tomorrow. Why cant someone just talk us through this so Mr Tj can try and fix it. HELP

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We have a different model but when our pilot light goes out and is difficult to relight hubby presses ignition button and holds down for 30 sec to a minute and lets go slowly. Usually works for us.

3. http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/installer/products/boilers/gas-boiler-codes/gas-boiler-codes-greenstar-cdi-boiler-codes
    It might be the condensate trap is frozen and blocked?
    www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/customer-service/common-winter-boiler-enquiries
    I have no boiler knowledge whatsoever, but spent Christmas Eve 2010 with a hairdryer trying to defrost mine!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So. . . . did you get it sorted?

5. We had the same issue last year (several times!) and the freezing was occurring in the pipework that feeds out through the bricks to the outside. As our boiler is upstairs it meant having to get up on the flat roof at the back and using a hair dryer to warm up the pipes and blow warm air into the vent thingy to stop it dripping back down into the boiler bit. The boiler repair man showed us how to do it safely. He did say that the condensate pipes can freeze and then start to thaw and the cold water drips back down to the boiler which causes it to stop working - apparently it's a safety feature. Not sure I've explained it too well!

6. thank you and yes we did. The Eon man phoned at 11am this morning (any time after 8am we were told last night!) He has booked an engineer to come at the earliest time which is THURSDAY AFTERNOON!!

anyway Mr TJ climbed into the airing cupboard (it needed a tidy anyway!) with a down loaded manual and sorted out the pressure!

now catching up on the 4 loads of washing!

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Are you sure you need an engineer if you only needed in increase the pressure?

8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If you had a sudden pressure drop then you may have a leak in the system. Also had frozen outside pipe. lagged it, not had the problem since, but its not been as cold since!

9. Water has disappeared from somewhere. If there isn't a leak have you been bleeding the radiators? Condense pipes on Worcesters are well known for freezing. Lag if accessible.