1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

URGENT advice sought! Reference in a CA.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ias9, May 3, 2012.

1. My friend needs urgent advice. Hoping to get a compromise agreement but the HR is insistent on putting some words in the reference which might be detrimental for his future job prospects. Does any one have any experience, suggestions, or ideas about this. Union trying to get it sorted but without success so far. Can I seek some official legal advice from someone about this? Help is desperately needed on this!

2. My friend needs urgent advice. Hoping to get a compromise agreement but the HR is insistent on putting some words in the reference which might be detrimental for his future job prospects. Does any one have any experience, suggestions, or ideas about this. Union trying to get it sorted but without success so far. Can I seek some official legal advice from someone about this? Help is desperately needed on this!

3. Typical. CA is an agreed separation, but amazingly some managers are not satisifed and want to further damage the job prospects of teachers even after their have left.
    Fight it.
    But see wooseywoo 03/05/2012 at 10:51. They probably have some very recent experience.
    Good luck

4. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

My understanding is that a Copmromise Agreement is exactly that a compromise between what each party wants and something which is agreed. If your friend is not happy with it then it shouldn't be signed and and it isn't a CA.

5. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I signed a CA...during the time of it being drawn up I mentioned to the union seeking legal advice elsewhere and was told in no uncertain terms if I did the union would no longer be able to support me.

6. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

As posters have already said, a CA is just that - a compromise and should not be signed until it is agreed, however, there are some things that may have to go into a reference, e.g. child protection issues, even if these were unfounded. I am very surprised your union cannot get this sorted, ask to go higher within union.

7. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

A Compromise Agreement is just that - it must be agreed. You MUST have access to independent legal advice by law or the CA can be ruled invalid in tribunal. In practice, this can be an independent lawyer (and CAs often have provision for a sum of money to be paid, to enable you to do this) or it can be a trained union official. If the latter, they must provide both you and the employer with a certificate of insurance to demonstrate that they are deemed to be an appropriately qualified person.
    The agreed reference is just that - agreed. If your Head writes a reference, it must be fair and factually accurate. If something 'difficult' has happened, the Head is bound to inform future employers. However, this should be done in such a way with which you are happy.
    My Head's first attempt at an agreed reference was both factually inaccurate and extremely derogatory (and, indeed, now forms part of my huge volume of evidence demonstrating negligence and malice). I wrote my own agreed reference, with input from the union official and my husband and we ensured that my version was accepted. If you PM me with an email address, I would be happy to let you see a redacted copy, to give you an idea of what you can get away with.

8. Gardening Leaves, you are fantastic here on the forum with all your advice etc!! GL rules OK!!!!

9. Thanks for your detailed answer. I don't know how to send you an email without it being public. Can you tell me. The problem is that the reference that the head has given to my friend mentions something about quality of teaching and has already proven detrimental as a supply company has turned him down explaining the reasong was the reference. The union has so far been rather unsuccessful saying that the council's legal dept is adamant on leaving certain phrases in the reference as it is or they won't sign the CA which means that my friend will have to start going back to the school! We feel totally stuck at the moment and any advice or help will be appreciated.

10. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

You have a private message from me. Your username at the top should show a (1) next to it. Clicking on your username at the top will take you to your inbox.

11. Another p.m. from me, so maybe a (2) by your name, if you haven't read yesterday's yet!