1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent advice please

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Honeydew, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

I am a private tutor teaching GCSE English Language to three 15/16 year olds who are working at a level 2/3.
    I am going through the basics of grammar (capital letters, simple sentences, complex sentences, etc). Can anyone please give me some advice on how to approach this? I feel out of my depth. Are there are textbooks you could recommend? i often find that they forget to apply what they have learnt in their sessions with me - they don't apply the rules although they have been taught about them and completed worksheets.
    Any kind advice would be gratefully received.

2. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

I am a private tutor teaching GCSE English Language to three 15/16 year olds who are working at a level 2/3.
    I am going through the basics of grammar (capital letters, simple sentences, complex sentences, etc). Can anyone please give me some advice on how to approach this? I feel out of my depth. Are there are textbooks you could recommend? i often find that they forget to apply what they have learnt in their sessions with me - they don't apply the rules although they have been taught about them and completed worksheets.
    Any kind advice would be gratefully received.

3. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I take it thats NC levels 2-3?
    Entry Level English or Functional Skills as opposed to GCSE?
    A GCSE is very difficult for pupils who are working at the levels you have stated, if my understanding is correct, and very difficult for them to gain recognition for the work that they have done.
    B x

4. Hello,
    I suffer from asperger syndrome and so I think I can maybe help you. Some of the information you might already know but this is how I was taught when I had speech theraphy.
    What helped me was pictures. Everything I did was extremely interactive, using my hands to choose things and talking alot. Very little of the work was reading from a book, it was prepared very well. I would be introduced to cards and the cards would be identified to me until I understood what was infront of me and then off to the next card. Then there would be games created with those games. Like how to spell some animals and places and more.
    It was all interactive, using your hands and pictures as it was something I could understand and see instead of having to use my mind, which wasn't amazing then. Eventually the cards turned from letters into words and I was told to create sentences, after many and many of examples. Until I looked like I knew what was going on, did these session with the cards and even talking continue.
    Really the question is you have to find out how these people remember, but in my case, pictures was the way to go as you could talk to me and make me write till I was blue in the face and still not remember a single thing.
    I hope this helps,
    Alan Reid
    Game to learn Website
    Facebook
    Twitter<font face="Calibri">
    </font>

5. Go to www.schoolwork.bz Use teh entry code nor789ty

Use the first 30 of the dictation courses. These can be used by chidren at the levels you indicate and will provide practical experience in the exercising the most basic grammar skills. Because these exercises are online and free, you can use them to assign homework, assuming you see these children on a weekly basis.

Hope this helps.

Eddie Carron

6. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Thank you all so much for your responses - I really appreciate it.
    Hi BexL - Thanks for your post. I understand what you're saying. At the moment they are E/D borderline. I have explained to them and their parents that a functional skills qualification would be more suitable, but they want to do the GCSE.
    Hi Alan - I never thought about using images/pictures and I can now see how that would work. Thank you.
    Hi Eddie - thank you for the link - I will check it out.
    Thank you once again

7. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Sorry - late response after the thanks! I've uploaded lots of stuff with pictures and some of the tasks include punctuation etc. Try the index in my blog http://languageisheartosay.com for my items on TES organised by topic or look in the special needs section under Speech and Language. Sometimes it's quite hard to find things on here because there is so much.
    Also - if you google around you will find very nice stuff to do online which provides 'self-checking' and so on. Kids can always keep a score and repeat the same thing - with youngsters who are behind their peer group it's ideal to make them play against themselves and beat previous scores etc.