1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent advice on moderation sample please

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by anarchy, Jun 1, 2012.

1. We were expecting the usual 12 samples and instead they asked for 50 [part folders from mostly different pupils]. I've been working flat out for two weeks as we still had Y11 in school and I had extra classes with them as one member of staff has been on long term sick since January [top set], another is part time and the other is an NQT - we've also just had a Departmental Ofsted so we were really behind.

Anyway, I finished her sample yesterday [having gone off sick myself with exhaustion and stress] and I sent it in to school this am to be moderated quickly before it was sent off. Unfortunately, the exams officer got hold of it and sent it off before that happened; there's no evidence of moderation there except my marking and comments.

Question: Do I phone the board and explain?

2. We were expecting the usual 12 samples and instead they asked for 50 [part folders from mostly different pupils]. I've been working flat out for two weeks as we still had Y11 in school and I had extra classes with them as one member of staff has been on long term sick since January [top set], another is part time and the other is an NQT - we've also just had a Departmental Ofsted so we were really behind.

Anyway, I finished her sample yesterday [having gone off sick myself with exhaustion and stress] and I sent it in to school this am to be moderated quickly before it was sent off. Unfortunately, the exams officer got hold of it and sent it off before that happened; there's no evidence of moderation there except my marking and comments.

Question: Do I phone the board and explain?

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Did you mark all of them? In which case moderation doesn't need to take place.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

If they ask for this amount then it implies that they do not trust what has been presented in previous years by your school.
    The fact that you had to work flat out to get them marked in time is a little curious as it implies that the marking and moderating were not done prior to the sample request coming from the examination board. Is this normal practice with GCSEs? It may very well be, although my experience has always been that work has to be marked and moderated and the examination board will request sample based upon those marks.

5. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

I agree. Marking should be done by class teacher, moderated in department, then those grades are sent to board who call in a sample. The size of the sample does imply that they're not happy with previous practice, so this might be the time to give it an overhaul and save yourself similar stress next year.

6. I agree with you.[​IMG]

7. Thanks for comments. We had seven moderators - two for the Speaking and Listening [one English one Language]. They then seem to have broken down the syllabus into the various C/As. So Literary Heritage and imaginative writing; Shakes, poetry, Mice and Men etc.

We haven't had problems before and have always received positive feedback from moderators. Each moderator called for their own focus area. I ended up marking so much because of staff absence and still having to get the controlled assessments done - some having to redo with second choice questions to improve the grade.

8. The work is marked and grades sent to me from each teacher. Moderation is by sample - a selection from each teaching set only - we don't moderate all folders. Then, the grades are sent to the board and, once we have the list, we gather the folders and any that weren't fully moderated are double checked before going off.

The problem was with absent colleague's folders because I had chosen to redo some assessments with the second choice questions. Before marks went off but it meant that that full sample was only marked by me.

Anyway, I wrote to them and explained.