1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by _missp, Nov 15, 2019.

1. _missp

_missp New commenter

I’m an NQT on long term supply at a school but I think I’ve decided the school environment isn’t for me.

I’ve been offered a job interview next week and obviously will need to let my school know but can anyone tell me the rules in terms of notice on long term supply? I haven’t signed a contract or anything like that.

Thanks everyone!

2. PEmonkey

PEmonkey New commenter

Generally, unless you’ve signed a contract, a supply is paid day-to-day. In other words you can walk whenever you want and likewise the school could ask you not to return tomorrow.

Let the Head know, giving as much notice as you can (professional courtesy), they will understand and prepare for your interview.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Are you employed by an agency?

4. _missp

_missp New commenter

Thanks for your advice. I agree, I don’t want to leave them in the lurch and I want to be honest about my interview etc.

No, I’m not employed by an agency.

5. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

If you have been asked to do long term supply but don’t have a contract, it’s implied that you do! It should have the same conditions as anyone would in that position (ie, if you want to leave sooner than a year contract, October/February deadlines apply)
    It would be polite to check when you ask permission to go for your interview/mention it.

6. _missp

_missp New commenter

Yes, that’s how I feel yet I have never signed any kind of contract and only get paid the days I’m there and no pay in school holidays.

7. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

See what your union says and speak to your head when you discuss going for the interview.
    You can’t breach a contract you don’t have so don’t worry too much!