1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent advice needed please

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sun77set, May 25, 2019.

1. sun77set

sun77set New commenter

Hi all,
    I urgently need input on a situation particularly from anyone based in Devon/South West or with Headteacher/HOD interviewer experience.

45 year old female French teacher located near Exeter. UPS1. Has recently relocated back to the UK after 9 years abroad. Has not taught since Dec 2010. Good CV and references and held position of Head of Year for 2 years prior to leaving profession. 5 years teaching experience in UK. Has done some supply work in Primary abroad. GCSE Spanish but has never taught it.

My questions are:
    1) in your experience are there an abundance of jobs for French Teachers in the South West?
    2) would this person be an attractive candidate if you received their cv (I appreciate you don’t have the full CV-there are no skeletons!) ?
    3) faced with the choice of this candidate and a similar candidate with NQT status who would you employ?

TIA for any advice/opinions you can give. They are very much appreciated!!

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I think you'll need to get some recent teaching experience in the UK and show you are familiar with the new specifications for GCSE and A level. Try some supply work first.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

With regards to UPS1, you need to be aware that pay portability has gone, so you'll have to negotiate salary. That's good news in that you will not necessarily be more expensive than the NQT, but bad news in that you're unlikely to get UPS1. You also need to think about what you'd be happy to settle for in order to get the work.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Whoever it is might not like what they see after a nine year absence from a profession which has deteriorated exponentially in multiple important ways even in that short time.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. sun77set

sun77set New commenter

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated!