1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent advice needed please- PGCE lower primary at Bishop Gorsseteste university college lincoln.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Spinachthellama2, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Bit late for an April fool...

2. well the thing is when I rang they said it was not unsuccessful so don't withdraw your application. she also said they would'nt tell you there and then that you were unsuccessful but why then say that- apply again next year. they said they will inform me as soon as possible. so thanks for your not so helpful comments.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Both of your posts are entirely incomprehensible. Or is it just me?

4. No, it isn't just you. I gave up trying to make sense of post one!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

What really worries me is that English is supposed to be good and that the poster's Maths is the weak area. If this is an example of English what is the Maths like?
    I thought long and hard before posting this - I didn't want to appear spiteful - but it really shocked me.

6. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Unfortunately I have to agree that the first post is difficult to understand. I was willing to help when I saw the post title (as I did a PGCE Lower Primary), but after reading it I'm truly not sure what the poster is asking! Sorry...[​IMG]

7. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

If you are sure that teaching is definately what you want to do, then I would contact the college again and ask to speak to someone in charge to get a clear answer. Explain that you feel you have been messed about a bit and need to know urgently, as you have also applied elsewhere and they are waiting to hear from you.
    Please consider the maths side of it though - because as Marlin said, it is a VERY demanding course and trying to work on your maths at the same time will be hard. I had to work on my maths, but I did it before the course started. It meant that once I did start the course a lot of the maths made sense and I could concentrate on how to teach maths. It gave me a lot more confidence on teaching practice too.
    Good luck[​IMG]

8. hello Harjinder,

I totally understood your original post as I had an interview there a day before yours so know the whole process. The posters on this website don't. I hadn't realised they know our maths test scores before the interview starts. It's very well organised in that way. I totally get the dilemma your in and would have felt gutted if I was told that at the end of the interview. I would take it I hadn't been successful and send my application forward asap to stand a good chance of getting a place elsewhere.

Remember: Just because your weak in maths doesn't mean you can't make a good teacher. I really don't think this forum is about assessing who can or can't make a good teacher based on a quick post requesting support and guidance..so don't pay head! This forum isn't here to pass judgments on other applicants...let alone voice them!

I have been planning to get on to a course for the past 2 years, gaining experience, knowledge of teaching, improving my maths etc. I was placed on BG reserve list and had to make a choice of keeping my application there or sending it to another provider, who was about to close their in-take shortly. I chose the latter telling BG to keep me on their list (as a back-up). I later got a call later confirming the availability of a place at BG. I made the right choice in the end because I kept both options open, if i didn't get a place through the reserve list I still had the chance of an interview with my second choice.

Work on any weaknesses and show your strengths, you'll be fine!! Maths and subject knowledge skills you can learn. It's the right personality, disposition and interpersonal skills that are harder to come by that are so essential for teaching that can not always be learnt. If teaching is your passion you'll certainly get a place...

Good luck for the future,

9. Thank you for your help and advice it means alot [​IMG]