1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent advice needed - passing nqt year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Doodlem, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi. I am an nqt about to finish my second term. However, my school are telling me that they are not happy that they have enough evidence for me to pass this term. I was under the impression that it is only the whole year that I have to pass, not each individual term. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Hi. I am an nqt about to finish my second term. However, my school are telling me that they are not happy that they have enough evidence for me to pass this term. I was under the impression that it is only the whole year that I have to pass, not each individual term. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

There are no individual criteria that need to be evidenced for each Induction term.
    The 3rd term is the only one with a pass/fail verdict. The first two require your assessors to decide if you are on track to meet all the standards by the END of the Induction period. They should do that by doing at least 2 observations each term and through the discussions you have in mentor sessions.
    It sounds as though you need to collate an evidence file to keep your assessors happy. Make sections on each standard and collect hard evidence (INSET and courses attended that link to the standards, copies of some school reports you've written, departmental meetings, contact with parents, copies of pupil work to demonstrate their achievements and your feedback when marking it, recent NC levels to show pupil progress under your care, photos of inventive classroom practice (group work, carousel activities).
    Give each piece of evidence a reference number and then see how many standards it can be linked to.
    Also keep any memos you get from other staff thanking you for sharing resources, helping them, doing an extra task for pupils, classes or whole school etc
    If they record you as not making satisfactory progress to meet the standards by the end of your Induction periodthey need to identify what you are not managing and they then need to set up an action plan to support you in meeting those standards.
    You have the opportunity to write comments on the verdict made and can challenge it but if you do that try to be diplomatic in how you express yourself. If you are listed as having class management issues, for instance, you might want to agree that you find class X (which was observed) challenging, as do most teachers at the school, but feel that you have no such issues with your other classes. You have asked for TA support with class X as you know that other teachers have it and it would make a big difference to the learning etc

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

What was the summing up at the end of assessment period 1? Was it stated in either document that you were in danger of not passing the year. NQTs are meant to be informed immediately if they are at risk of failing the year.
    At the beginning of the year you ought to have been given the name of someone at the LEA who is an impartial advisor, from whom you can seek advice. This is your right. Make sure you ask your school induction tutor for this person's name, and contact them asap.

5. You do not pass or fail individual terms, you are assessed on your progress towards meeting the standards. If the school is saying it does not have enough evidence then a simple way to solve this is for you to match your everyday work - planning, teaching assessment etc. against the core standards and produce a small portfolio of things (a little like your training evidence file but nothing as detailed). That way the school will have the evidence.
    They should also have evidence from your mentor from your regular mentor meetings as well as the observations they have completed.
    Although there is no requirement to keep a portfolio it is advisable in cases such as this.
    You can also call the NQT adviser for the LA to ask for their help and advice on the evidence needed.
    James