1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Urgent action campaign post cards to Nicky Morgan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I become increasingly dismayed to see how teachers' health and well being are being impaired by the insane pressures of the profession. Could we not have an urgent action campaign? If every teacher in the country sent a post card to Ms Morgan, highlighting the pressures they are under, would it not at least have some impact? I expect this sounds like pie in the sky but surely we have to start somewhere to get our message across. I am sending my post card today. I will write on it, " I have watched my HoD sibling's physical and mental health deteriorate as a result of the constant imposition of new initiatives that do nothing to improve teaching or learning but only unnecessarily increase workload. What are you going to do about it?

TEA2111 likes this.
  2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What about a petition on change.org?

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Could do but I still think that post cards are more noticeable and more tangible. If we had a post card campaign, people could publicise it on Facebook?

TEA2111 and yfel_endwerce like this.
  4. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

Double it up so that your local MP gets a card too
    Set it up. I'll join in

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

With change.org you automatically get the option to publicise through twitter and FB

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

[​IMG]

Like this one?

7. yfel_endwerce

With the cards you get to swamp their office and staff

kibosh likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

It's a postcard. A lowly postcard. They won't even look at them. Filed under R.

9. yfel_endwerce

No protest is effective unless it causes inconvenience.
    Someone will have to sort and file all these cards ;)

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I feel like sending a card telling her to read some of the threads on the Educational Issues / Workplace Dilemmas boards.
    I wonder if she reads them, anyway?

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

If they got thousands of them, they'd have to do something. Amnesty used this method of getting attention with considerable success.

12. grumpydogwoman

Well, if teachers would just join a union and take action within the law to protect their work-life balance then it might well have more beneficial (let alone speedy) effects than writing to Nicky Morgan.

There is a great deal teachers could do to help themselves but, in my experience, often fail even to attempt.

Compassman likes this.
  13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And why do you think this is?

14. grumpydogwoman

Personality profile of a lot of teachers. Conformist. Peaceable. Like to talk things through. Don't wish to give offence. Feel huge responsibility for the children. Don't want to rock the boat. Sensitive to appearing 'unprofessional'. Feel anything other than sacrificing their very soul to the job is somehow neglecting their duty.

Lara mfl 05, TEA2111 and silkywave like this.
  15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

If TES had teachers' interests at heart, they could publish all the relevant threads and invite Nicky Morgan to comment on them.

smoothnewt likes this.
  16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

There is also the fact that they are bullied and cowed and made to feel frightened of losing their jobs or being made to feel inadequate even when they are not.

TEA2111 and smoothnewt like this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

Yes, but every worker has an eye on the wage-packet so I don't include that as specific to teachers. Every worker is an underdog in the context of negotiation with management. One expects that.

18. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Pop each postcard into an envelope and send them Recorded Delivery so that each one has to be signed for. There'd be a large irritation factor in that.

19. grumpydogwoman

That's a good idea @RedQuilt

I bet though that the RM would let them just sign for the whole bunch. Different rules, I expect.

20. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Have an all teacher sickie day, where everyone phones in sick on the same day due to "stress".

lexus300 and TEA2111 like this.