1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Urgent 6th April deadline

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by SUPER.SUPPLY, Mar 30, 2016.


    SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

    hello all, I was alerted by a supply teacher that from April I would no longer be able to claim, food and mileage due to the new rules. Thank you Osborne. NOT
    I had a phone call from my umbrella company having chased my agency about it. I answered some questions and it appears that depending on how you answer them, determines whether or not you qualify to claim expenses. They are yes/no answers which are tricky if you're full time supply somewhere.
    anyway, having been told that I can no longer claim expenses at all, I can get something called PERKBOX. I don't know whether I have to buy this or not in order to get...wait for it......free breakdown cover (I assume that's car not for teaching) automatic insurance cover for accidents at work and I heard nothing else because fume was coming out of my ears by then.
    So, they asked, do I want to be paye with my agency or them. I told them that if I have to pay them 65 quid for the privilege of paying me and I get none of the original benefits then they can go and get.............
    I'm due to begin a placement and am getting paid my going rate immediately. So what do I do? Demand that I be Paid by my agency or do I threaten them with not showing up for these year 6 children after Easter? Who desperately need me or some stability....
    Urgent replies from more people in the know will be most welcome. Thanks.
  2. PizzoCalabro

    PizzoCalabro Established commenter

    You only need to engage with your agency, not the UC. Just tell your agency to pay you PAYE.
  3. pepper5

    pepper5 Star commenter

    Pizzo is right. Simply call your agency and tell them you would like to be paid PAYE.
  4. peakster

    peakster Star commenter

    Strictly speaking you shouldn't have been claiming expenses anyway, the HMRC told me a couple of years ago that you can't.

    I'm assuming you fill in a tax form - surprised nobody has queried this.
    PizzoCalabro likes this.
  5. nearmiss

    nearmiss Lead commenter

    You'll be no worse off paying tax. You were misled by your agency and UC into believing you were entitled to tax relief on directed work. You are lucky that HMRC haven't claimed back unpaid tax. Others have found themselves with a hefty bill. Agencies are a rip off.
    PizzoCalabro likes this.

    SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

    I was led up the garden path then six years ago. However I was led to believe this was the norm and I was told that if I swapped to the UC these were the benefits. EAch year I have received a rebate from mr tax man. My tax and NIcontributions seem normal each month. Who is the rip off? Agency, UC or both?
    Why should I be filling out tax forms when I'm paye?
    Thanks for your replies.
  7. peakster

    peakster Star commenter

    How are you receiving a tax rebate without filling in an annual tax form ?

    If you've been claiming expenses for six years and nobody has cottoned on then count yourself lucky and hope the HMRC don't find out.

    Only if you are fully self employed can you claim expenses against tax.

Share This Page