1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uptown girl and other songs...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ConvivialCatMan, Jan 5, 2016.

1. ConvivialCatMan

ConvivialCatMan New commenter

I hated this song first time around but find myself humming it sub consciously recently and really enjoying it.

What songs did you hate initi8that you now enjoy?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I used to know all the words to it. We'd sing it (and Frankie by Sister Sledge) and do the dances in the playground.

I hated MARRS - Pump up the Volume when it came out but now I jig about when it comes on the radio.

3. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I loved it the first time I heard it, loved the video, sprint to the dancefloor whenever it comes on, lead all the little girls in the oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-o dance, and hated the cover version.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Here's a question to answer without looking at the lyrics:

Is Billy Joel singing "you've been living in your "white bread world", or "white-bred world""?

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

White Bread

(Cheese Spread and some mayonnaise)

6. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Great bouncy song but horribly cheesy vid. Euch

7. Duke of York

When I was a kid with the arrse hanging out the back of my trousers, we only ever had white bread, usually in the form of a bloomer which we would fight over to get the first slice, the one that was covered in crust.

Whenever the loaf was produced, the cries of "Crust Order!" would go round the table in a similar manner they might do when kids are playing snap, followed by arguments who claimed it first. Our mum being fair, did her best to adjudicate and had the good sense to cut a slice from the other end to cope with the occasions it was a photo finish which of her kids had shouted first.

Only posh people ate bread that wasn't white when I was young. I suspect this hasn't changed much over the years, going by what the supermarket shelves are mostly stacked with.

8. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

@aspensquiver_2 - is your avatar Louise Brooks?

Uptown Girl is a terrible song. Pump up the Volume is great. Frankie is awful, but better than Uptown Girl.

Starship 'We Built this City' is great, but Starship 'Nothing's Going to Stop us Now' is awful.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

During my 1960s childhood, whenever we'd be driving home from my Grandparents' house on a Sunday evening my Mum would insist on putting 'Sing Something Simple' on the car radio. Me and my little sister would groan in despair as the Cliff Adams Singers worked their way through a sequence of old 1930s & 40s hits from my Mum's younger days and she'd sing along to them.

I still have no time whatsoever for the Cliff Adams Singers, but now I love 1930s and 40s music.

10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Same here. Aaargh! I hated it!

@Duke of York We used to have fights for the skin off the rice pudding. and also the custard. I alone liked the crusts. (Hence the curly hair :D)

11. Duke of York

One of my wives has/had similar preferences too. Now I think of it, I suspect it was one of the bonds that enabled our marriage to survive as long as it did, falling into the same category of Jack Spratt and his wife, who between their mutual acceptance of each others' needs were able to lick the platter clean before the dog did.

cissy3 likes this.
  12. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Billy and Christie lasted nine years. I think they both tended towards Spratthood.

Duke of York likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The shoulder got injured in the fights for the skins?

cissy3 likes this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You'd have thought somebody somewhere would have marketed tins of rice pudding skin - that would have solved a few problems, and might have earned them a Nobel Peace Prize nomination. I mean what is this current territorial dispute in the South China Sea if not a metaphorical fight over a rice pudding skin?

cissy3 likes this.
  15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Never liked Billy Jello. Still don't.

Never liked The Carpenters either. So uncool. But now I think they were pretty good at what they did and that Karen had a wonderful voice.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Sing Something Simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, how I hated it. But, unlike msb, I STILL hate music of the Thirties and Forties. Oh, and the Fifties.
    And Eighties. Nineties. Nearly all music I hate. (That'll pretty much cover it.)

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Wanna hear a brilliant version of a classic? Check this out...

18. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

'Sing Something Simple'!!!!! Sunday night was bath night so SSS was listened too in a steamy atmosphere. We would also have to listen to 'Letter from America' by Allister Cook. We didn't have TV until the late 60s a parents thought it was a load of rubbish!

19. Duke of York

The BBC put a fair number of those episodes available on the iplayer, the ones they had kept recording of. They make brilliant listening for anyone interested in the politics of the period of history they cover and give us in the UK a better understanding of how American politics work and why it works the way it does.