1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upset stomach...bug...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by geniegirl, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    Typically over half term I have been ill with a stomach bug. Everytime I eat it goes right through me, leaving me feel quite sick and lacking in energy. I heard that a few other people had this over the last few weeks but it has only lasted about 48 hours. Mine has now been going on for over a week. I can now eat a light snack, but I tried having toast on Friday and a bit of pasta today and I had another episode of an upset stomach.
    I am going to school tomorrow because I don't actually feel ill, unless I eat. However, I am slightly worried that this has been going on all week so think I may need to speak to a Doctor. But was wondering whether other people have had this too?
    Also getting pains in both my armpits, but I'm sure that's not related!

2. Hi all,
    Typically over half term I have been ill with a stomach bug. Everytime I eat it goes right through me, leaving me feel quite sick and lacking in energy. I heard that a few other people had this over the last few weeks but it has only lasted about 48 hours. Mine has now been going on for over a week. I can now eat a light snack, but I tried having toast on Friday and a bit of pasta today and I had another episode of an upset stomach.
    I am going to school tomorrow because I don't actually feel ill, unless I eat. However, I am slightly worried that this has been going on all week so think I may need to speak to a Doctor. But was wondering whether other people have had this too?
    Also getting pains in both my armpits, but I'm sure that's not related!

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

The armpits bit might be related - swollen glands are a sign of a virus.
    A week seems a long time to have a tummy upset - maybe you could phone NHS Direct for advice?

4. I agree-a week does sound like a long time to have a stomach upset. I would phone NHS Direct and see what they suggest.

5. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

My stomach upset started Saturday. Thought I would only be off work a day or two but am no better today. There is a lot of novovirus circulating according to my GP and recovery is slow. Am awaiting test result to see if that is the problem in my case.

6. I think this is probably the norovirus! 11 days on
    I now have a bit more of an appetite!
    The doctors have sent off samples (nice!) so just
    hoping they come back normal!

7. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

My test result confirmed campyrobacteriosis, a form of food poisoning treatable with anti-biotics. Can't go into school until I am sympton free for 48 hours. Hoping that will be Monday.