1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS3 and job hunting in 2012

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by chirpyandcheerful, Apr 12, 2012.

1. chirpyandcheerful

chirpyandcheerful New commenter

Hi [​IMG]
    I want to move schools but have been told that as I am UPS3, I have to be willing to accept a management role (ie KS3 etc) because I am too expensive to employ as a classroom teacher . Has anybody else heard/experienced this?
    Also, I have taught in a small girls school for the past 6 years but want to head back into a mixed school. I have also been told that having taught in a single sex school for so long might also go against me.
    Thanks in advance for your info [​IMG]

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, UPS3 appointees are expensive, so applying for a post with a TLR would make you better value. But you do not necessarily have to accept a management role without a TLR, just because you are on UPS, only if you are keen to do so.
    But it is true that some short-sighted schools will prefer somebody cheaper. So what you need to do is in your application, emphasise how much you can offer a school, what your experience brings - preferably with a nice set of data in support, showing outstanding teaching leading to outstanding results.
    As for the school gender issue, again it is up to you to show clearly what you could bring, and what your other experience has taught you, that could benefit the school.
    Everything is about benefitting the school.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.