1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS2 & Performance Management

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by becktonboy, Nov 1, 2011.

1. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Depends on how you want to play it: if you are in a position to talk professionally with your head you might be able to work something out.
    The fact is your school has broken the law: the 2006 regs require schools to carry out PM (not should carry out, must). If your head won't countenance considering you this year on the grounds that you are too late, ask for a copy of the school's Pay Policy and Appeals procedure.You could intimate that since you heard nothing in your annual pay review, you assume you have been refused progression and that therfore you will be lodging a pay appeal with the governors. If you win this your UPS2 money would be backdated to Sept 1st. Your head would have to establish good reason why you were not progressed - tricky in the absence of any PM evidence - and also have this failing made much of in front of the governors' pay panel.
    hope it doesn't come to this, obtain immediate support from your local union office..

2. It is a great shame that some teachers end up as line managers as they don't deserve the responsibility.
    I have put in my application a good few weeks ago and had my PM with my line manager. I know that I was one of the first members of her team in the school to get the UPS2 application in, but have since found out that a colleague of mine who left it to the last possible date has been told that she has been sucessful. I am still chasing my line manager who appears to have forgotton! This has really annoyed me as I spent a long time on my application to now have it left with no decision. This is one way to de- motivate your staff!
    Under the pay conditions I have to be told why it was not sucessful and not just be left.
    It is a very difficult situation as you dont want to nag and keep chasing but it is unfair how those staff who are more assertive seem to get what they want first! It should be on how you are progressing and not on assertiveness.