1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS2 Advice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Senora Alcaide, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Senora Alcaide

Senora Alcaide New commenter

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice on where I stand on moving to UPS 2.

I will have been on UPS 1 for 2 years by the end of this school year, but I have only been at my current school since September.
    I teach Y6, am literacy leader and mentor an NQT in my team.

I have requested to reduce my hours for this September and will be working either 2.5 or 3 days.

Will this prevent me being able to ask for the pay rise? Am I already doing enough to 'prove impact' or will I be opening myself up to more responsibility? (Which I don't want.)

I would appreciate any advice - my SLT are not very approachable in these situations!

Thanks.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It will depend upon your schools pay policy, but I suspect that you already know the answer.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Each school has its own policy, and its own interpretation of that policy, so we really cannot give you any advice here.

All you can do is look at the policy and then try and estimate how it is likely to be administered.

Best wishes

4. Senora Alcaide

Senora Alcaide New commenter

I have looked at the policy. There is no specific guidance other than it being awarded on making impact. It does not specify conditions.

So it seems I will not be able to do anything as it is not possible to get advice at school either.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You could just go ahead and apply . . .

Best wishes

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Nothing can prevent you asking, and I think it may be illegal to deny you progression because you want to go part time.

That is sad. Is there really nobody you could ask?

Yoda- likes this.
  7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Has no one applied anytime recently? See if you can suss out if anyone has and have a conversation.

8. rwaring1

rwaring1 New commenter

Have you also taken advice from your professional association?