1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS1 to UPS2 - letter of application?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Tish Hope, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Has anyone else had to write a letter of application to progress from UPS1 to UPS2?

I progressed without the need to apply. My head looked at my performance and agreed. My friend has been told she needs to apply by letter. Has anyone any experience of this? She plans to include details of how she meets each of the Core and Threshold criteria.

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Application by letter is now required to pass through the Threshold to UPS1.
    Progression from UPS1 to 2 would be foressen by a good manager and brought up by a good PM reviewer as soon as you are on UPS1. A good head would inform you when they were about to consider you for progression and discuss any finer poiints they were unclear about in your performance, then let you know, probably towards the end of the Summer term that you were going to progress the following September.
    To see what actually happens, stroll through this forum, Professional Development and the Primary forums and you will find endless examples of the stupidity, ignorance, deviousness, malice, cheating, vindictiveness, mendacity and downright meanness which some managers are capable of in the real world.

3. We were asked to submit an application including listing how we met the various criteria. I made a reasonable go of it without overexerting myself. One of my collegues who had nothing to lose submitted a letter saying that she was eligible for UPS, she met the criteria and she would like to progress to it. That was it, no examples etc. We both got it.

4. Tish Hope
    Movement through the upper pay scale (UPS) is performance-related. Head teachers will make recommendations on which teachers should progress through the UPS. They should base their decisions on the individual's performance as part of the school's performance management system, therefore it should not be necessary for the teacher to provide additional evidence/documentation.
    Public Communications Unit
    DCSF

5. think on, UPS 1 to 2 the boot is on the other foot. YOUR HEAD has to justify, IN WRITING, why you can't go through to UPS2, you DON'T HAVE TO APPLY OR JUSTIFY IT. And if they turn you down go straight to your union. Get your own back on the sh**t they put you through and the **** they made you do 2 years ago.

6. what if you don't know your performance managemnet targets? And remember only having one like a year ago???

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Then your school has a problem which they can help keep quiet by letting you progress through the Threshold scale with a minimum of fuss, then reviewing their senior management team .....

8. Also what if i am moving jobs and start my new job in january. Should i apply for the thrshold at this school or my new one?