1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS1 to UPS2 and 2018-2019 salary

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by spo_spike24, Apr 8, 2018.

1. spo_spike24

spo_spike24 New commenter

Hi

I wonder if someone could shed any light. I have recently accepted an offer for a HOD job Inner London from Outer London to start in September 2018. It was a strategic move to get a better remortgage deal. Anyway I haven’t got my contract through but I’m going from an academy to a LA and I am on the equivalent of UPS1 due to be on UPS2 following a successful appraisal, as I will have been on UPS1 for 2 years once I start. My first query is, should I expect the offer to include UPS2, if it doesn’t should I highlight as part of signing the contract? My second query is, are the pay scales staying the same as 2017-2018 for new academic year or is there due a further 1% pay rise?

Thanks in advance.

2. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Did you not discuss pay at the interview? No pay portability now, if you didn't discuss it then you could find that you are on less.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Why oh why do people accept jobs without asking the salary?

No-one here can say what salary they will offer you because there are no national pay scales and no pay portability. All you can do is ask them asap what the salary will be.

As to what STPCD pay range miminums and maximums will be in 2018-19, it's too early to know. DFE don't publish the new pay ranges until late in the summer term, or even in August. If they don't go up there will be a lot of very angry people though!

4. spo_spike24

spo_spike24 New commenter

Thanks for your responses, the salary was advertised at MPS/UPS + TLR1a. When I get my contract I’ll ask. They did ask my current salary and UPS on the application so my fault for not being explicit in the interview.

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Sadly, without agreeing terms before, there is no way of knowing what to expect when the offer letter arrives! (As plenty of previous posters will sadly be able to confirm...)

If I were you, I'd get in contact asap - before the offer letter comes out. (Once it's been all HR'd, it might be too late to do anything about it...)

Piranha likes this.
  6. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

and the schools, any good interview should now include this discussion.