1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS1 after Maternity Leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by nattig, Jul 10, 2018.

1. nattig

nattig New commenter

Evening all,

Question about applying for UPS1 - I applied and was refused UPS last year. I have been off for 5 months on maternity leave but want to apply again.

Do you think that this is a good idea or should I wait until next year?

The thought did cross my mind when I applied last year that they may have not given me UPS due to knowing I was going off on maternity (although they would never say that...)

Does anyone have any experience in this?

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

No experience, but you should have been told why you failed last time. If the reason was a poor one, perhaps pregnancy discrimination could have been demonstrated. If it was a good one, at least in terms of your school's pay policy, then you need to decide if you have dealt with whatever it was. In any case, I doubt if applying again would do you any harm, and (if you fail) the feedback might help you succeed next time.

nattig likes this.
  3. nattig

nattig New commenter

Thanks.
    I got a reason why I didn't achieve it last time - I'm not expecting to get it this year anymore (a flippant comment a member of SLT made) but hoping if I keep on applying one year they'll give in!

4. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Did the reason appear to be one that was made up or justifiable in terms of the criteria your school has set out for UPS? If it's something that has good grounding, it is really more of a case of you needing to address it than the school 'giving in'.

Piranha likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Good plan. And, regardless of the flippant comment, they still need a good reason for turning you down. Good luck.