1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS when moving schools

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Jag13290, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Jag13290

Jag13290 New commenter

I currently work on M6 with a TLR2. I teach year 6 in an additional teacher role and lead English across a federation of three schools. I also have experience leading trainer teachers in the school and shadow the SENCO. I recently went for a SLT out of office SENCO role and was successful.
    Before getting my contract, I was told my headteacher had to sign off my progression onto the UPS in my new school. My performance has always been Good to Outstanding and I can prove many successes as English Lead. However, my head teacher declined it and now my new school is saying they can only match my M6 and TLR2 salary.
    Can my current head really stop my pay progression in another school? And provide me with no feedback or reason why?

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Your new HT could have only offered you M1...pay portability between schools has not existed for many a year now

border_walker likes this.
  3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

OP the easy answer is yes, they can unfortunately but it seems a bit odd - after all it won't cost them anything.
    How long have you been on M6 in your current school? Have you followed the procedure in your current school to apply for UPS, as if you were staying? If you do that, I would have thought that the head would have to give you a reason why not if they weren't recommending you for it.
    However as others have said, the new school don't have to honour it even if the current head agreed - you could be on UPS3 and they could offer you M6. But it is definitely worth going through the proper procedure (if you haven't already) to see what happens.

4. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

Did you not apply for UPS? We need more information to give you advice.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The problem with this is that in many schools, the standard procedure is to have an application deadline, which may be this term or possibly early next, with the result decided next term following PM reviews, and any pay rise backdated. It may be that some schools would go through the process earlier, but if not, I can't see how you can go through the procedure. Under STPCD, the school has no obligation to speed things up.

I am afraid that there is probably not a lot you can do at this stage. Of course, you can ask your union for advice.