1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS teachers applying for MPS positions

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Cassia78, May 11, 2011.

1. Where do I stand? Surely I don't have to shortlist them even if they meet all requirements if I stated I only wanted MPS.
    Also if I do I assume I'd have to pay them at their correct UPS?!

2. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Do I take it then that all your staff will be denied opportunity to progress through threshold?

3. Thought all MPS jobs had to be open to UPS candidates? Through selection process useful to have a point system against each aspect of post requirements to score each letter & reference against. This helps when giving feedback to overqualified candidates. I am sure this is not a new idea to you, just a thought.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I see basic employment law and teachers' pay and conditions are not included on that wonderful NPQH thing.
    Of course the job must be open to those on UPS! You cannot merely restrict your field to MPS - which I assume is a money-saving ploy. What next? You'll state 'NQTs only' in your job ads? 'No-one above MPS3 may apply' when you're also offering a TLR?
    You're taking a massive risk here if you proceed with this awful 'policy'. Moreover, don't you want the best possible staff in your school?

5. Thanks for the feedback - people read a lot into that question!!
    It's a brand new school - so I'm recruiting on mass and I can't afford to have everyone at UPS!!! Of course I'd love to! Of course people will go through threshold!
    With 70 candidates applying some wonderful MPS teachers appear to not get a look in even with a scoring system.... I'd just like a balance of experience and am trying to figure out how I can do that 'fairly'!!

6. When reading applications it is very hard to spot the difference between MPS and UPS. If you find a solution, working on such a large scale, please share it.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Dear me!
    Do you think that everyone who meets all the stated criteria has to be shortlisted? Suppose you have 300 applications (this is now known for certain Primary posts in some areas), and 250 of them meet your criteria?
    You'll be interviewing for a long time!
    Dear me!
    A shortlisting panel will select applicants based on the stated criteria, and then have to make further judgments based on the applications.
    They would, however, be unwise to use point on scale (NQT v UPS3) as a criterion, in either direction, as a case could be made that this is age-related . . . although it may not be, but a case could nonetheless be made.
    And that would be discriminatory. And thus potentially a legal issue.
    You assume?
    Don't you know?
    Dear me!
    Indeed.
    It might be helpful for you to get some guidance from the HR department of the Local Authority, since they have clearly dumped you into staff appointments without giving you any training or support, which is a bit hard on you. You have enough on your plate worrying about this week's KS2 SATs without all this hassle as well.
    Call them and ask for some help rather than trying to battle on all on your own.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Words fail me.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I didn't let myself be drawn by that one, ILS!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

10. Very easy to make typing errors. Says nothing about who you are. How can people ask anything if they are picked apart for asking what is on their mind? Why not try and get to the issue and help?

11. Exactly. I have been a keen user of tes forums but am always nervous about posting questions as(more and more) people are keen to be unkind and sharp with others rather than being supportive to fellow professionals who are after genuine advice. Excuse those of us who simply do not know everything!!

12. Thank you for speaking up too. These are tough times and whatever school leaders on this forum want to ask should be accepted. One poor person was called a 'troll' in a recent posting. Whatever does that mean? I'd like to know how this head got in with all these interviews to do at once on a limited budget. I hope she/he hasn't given up on this question.

13. I agree totally with transilvanian.
    Headships are hard to fill and although we don't need any old body doing the job almost everybody who posts on TES is doing so because they want to do the best they can. None of us knew everything when we first started - if anyone thinks they did they're lying. Let us new to the job ask without fear of being ridiculed - Its tough enough thanks!!

14. I agree that it's unkind to criticise every mistake as most people do make mistakes, but equally, as a headteacher, I would expect to be mocked ever so slightly for writing 'on mass' instead of 'en masse' and accept that that was something I had learnt for future reference!
    For most people they aren't being harsh, but reading 'on mass' really did make me chuckle!