1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS teacher applying for MPS role

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by deepsouth, Jan 18, 2020.

1. deepsouth

deepsouth New commenter

Hi,

I have seen a job I really want and it is only advertising a pay scale of MPS. I was at the maximum of the MPS scale four years ago and went abroad to work in British International Schools for 4 years and have excellent results in my A level subject. I believe if I had been in the UK I would now be on UPS2 and moving on to UPS3. First of all is that true or will schools ignore my experience abroad and only consider UPS1? Secondly am I effectively barred from applying from the job I want to apply for at MPS as if they gave it to me and I accepted the lower salary they would be in breach of union regulations - which means they won't consider me?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Schools will now offer what they want and you will need to negotiate for what you want-how much you negotiate depends on how many cards you hold! They may offer MPS6 and if you want the job enough you may decide to accept. They have no need to offer UPS, certainly not UPS3. Non of this is affected by working overseas, it's just the way it is! They certainly wont be in breech of any union regulations to offer MPS and you wont be in breech to accept.

deepsouth likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

And note that unions can't make regulations! They can advise and recommend. In extreme cases they could try instructing their members, but they certainly can't instruct schools what to do.

Piranha and deepsouth like this.
  4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

And I can't spell breech/breach:oops:

Piranha and deepsouth like this.
  5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

they could pay you M1 ;)

deepsouth likes this.
  6. deepsouth

deepsouth New commenter

Thanks for these comments. Going to apply and see how it goes. I don't want the job enough to take M1!!

strawbs likes this.
  7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Also, it is possible that some adverts may just say "MPS" for convenience, whereas actually they mean MPS/UPS.
    You will need to sell yourself well enough in your application (and at interview) to justify them paying you M6 (assuming that's the least you would realistically want to accept), or even UPS.
    If you do get called for interview, It's likely you'll get a vibe from the school/other candidates. If they are interviewing other experienced people, you may stand a better chance of higher pay than if it looks like they may be after less experienced and hence cheaper people!

deepsouth likes this.
  8. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I highly doubt they'll give you UPS if you haven't jumped through all the ridiculous hoops in this country. Depends on whether you're in a shortage subject/area. Good luck although I suspect you'll be lucky to get MPS6. Let us know how you get on!

deepsouth likes this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Even in the old days of automatic pay rises, you would not have been entitled to move to the UPS unless you had jumped though the relevant hoops. Unless you can convince them that you have more to offer than your competitors, you are most unlikely to be places on the Upper Pay Range. Like @CarrieV, I don't understand your point about "union regulations". I have never heard of one about this, and even if it existed, it would carry no weight in law.

I would hope you will get more than that. Perhaps negotiating to be at the top of the Main Pay Range is a realistic target. Just have to hope that they don't like somebody cheaper as much as they like you.

By the way, make sure you do negotiate and agree terms before accepting a job, and get a salary in pounds, not a pay point. STPCD only specifies upper and lower limits, so terms like M6 can mean different things at different schools.

deepsouth likes this.
  10. deepsouth

deepsouth New commenter

Thanks for comments. I have applied and going to negotiate for top of MPS (if I get anywhere) - if they like somebody cheaper good luck to them. i was once that somebody cheaper! Thanks for the tip about getting the salary in pounds. The advert says their M6 is just short of 36k and I would be happy with that if it was offered so if I get that far that is what I will ask for. Job deadline a few weeks away so will post with a result then.

Piranha likes this.
  11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

That sounds a sensible approach, @deepsouth. The figure you mention is the current top of the Main Scale for teachers outside London, so it does appear that they have followed the majority by keeping the top of the scale at M6. We only mention a figure in pounds because a few people have been caught out by schools (rather sneakily, in my opinion) keeping the old labels but changing their meanings. If you are offered the job, it might be worth clarifying that you will be paid at the top of the main scale, meaning you get whatever rise occurs in September. Good luck.