1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS progression

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by blueroom78, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Hi I am just wondering if anyone can help me.
    I have been on UPS 1 now for 4 years and as of yet been unable to move to UPS 2. I am Maths and PE subject leader, lead INSET, staff governor, member of the PTA amongst other things. I am year 6 teacher and last years result were an improvement on previous years, we exceeded Eng targets considerably and slightly below in maths.
    I have been deemed yet again to have not had a successful round of PM (although I actually had no formal review at the end of last year) and therefore do not meet the requirements to move up the pay scale.
    I really don't know what more I can do. Review says I have continued to meet threshold stantands and my contribution is sustained!
    I did have issues caused by depression and anxiety last year but mainly down to issues in my personal life. Is this a reason that would stop me from progressing?
    This now is starting to chip away at my already low self esteem.

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

in which case there were surely no grounds to deem your PM unsuccessful?
    sounds very successful, it woulld seem you are being spun a line .
    if this did not figure in your PM reviews then it is irrelevant. If you were not meeting your targets then that should have emerged in your PM reviews.
    If you are up for it you can make a pay appeal and the head has to justify their decision to a governors' panel. Politely ask for a copy of the school's Pay Policy and Pay Appeals Procedure - it is a legal requirement for the school to have them and make them available to you. contact your local union office for support if you have an inkling that oyu are going down this route.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I agree entirely with becktonboy. Is this another school trying to save money by relying on staff not knowing the rules or being intimdated out of asking for them to be applied?

4. The school could move toward capability if a UPS 1,2 or 3 teacher is not meeting the standards laid out for UPS teachers in terms and conditions doc.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I suspect this is right, although it seems harsh if somebody is meeting the core standards.

6. casper

casper New commenter

Why was there no review last year?

7. Not really, a UPS 3 is paid £4000+ PA more than a M6 teacher and there are strings attached to that money. They have to pull those strings!

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

no more so than a UPS1, which costs a lot less - the standards are exactly the same and have to be maintained.