1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS progression and appeal

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Rosieett, Jan 14, 2012.

1. My head has refused to put me through to UP3. She hasn't carried out PM properly, for example she presented me with the targets half way through the PM round (ie after the first year of the two year cycle) and asked me to provide evidence retrospectively. The same thing happened after the end of the second year of PM cycle when in the November 2011 she asked me to comment on how I'd achieved the targets for the previous year. Performance management hadn't been dome properly. At the same meeting I was told that she wasn't convinced that I'd achieved all of the targets. I asked her to put her reasons in writing. The reasons in writing were completely different from the reasons I was given at the meeting. It was as though she tried to think of all manner of things not to put me through. I lodged a request for a formal appeal and obviously involved my union. I'm waiting for a date. I will need to tell the governing body how she hasn't been fulfilling her statutory duty and has been unsupportive. My only problem is anxiety about it all because the money isn't a great difference and she has undermined my professionalism. Has anyone appealed and been successful? Am I wasting my time? Thank you in advance for any replies.

2. My head has refused to put me through to UP3. She hasn't carried out PM properly, for example she presented me with the targets half way through the PM round (ie after the first year of the two year cycle) and asked me to provide evidence retrospectively. The same thing happened after the end of the second year of PM cycle when in the November 2011 she asked me to comment on how I'd achieved the targets for the previous year. Performance management hadn't been dome properly. At the same meeting I was told that she wasn't convinced that I'd achieved all of the targets. I asked her to put her reasons in writing. The reasons in writing were completely different from the reasons I was given at the meeting. It was as though she tried to think of all manner of things not to put me through. I lodged a request for a formal appeal and obviously involved my union. I'm waiting for a date. I will need to tell the governing body how she hasn't been fulfilling her statutory duty and has been unsupportive. My only problem is anxiety about it all because the money isn't a great difference and she has undermined my professionalism. Has anyone appealed and been successful? Am I wasting my time? Thank you in advance for any replies.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I did once and lost (Grievance), again and won (Pay Appeal). The latter is a much better system: you cite what you consider to be the reasons why the pay judgment was incorrect, the head then has to prove how you are wrong in front of a panel of governors.
    You'll have to suck up the anxiety I'm afraid, it goes with the territory - it's often accompanied by rage which is very self destructive and definitely best sublimated or diverted.
    Don't waste your time working out elaborate arguments about why the head is unsupportive/incompetent etc etc: focus entirely on the provisions of the school's Pay Appeal process, available from your school, study it well, write your presentation for the panel strictly to the provisions - anything else won't do you much good and would be a distraction. Look carefully at the bits about evidence based pay decisions.

4. Thank you so much for your encouragement. However, my headteacher changed the school's pay policy within a week of my formal request for an appeal. I don't have a an earlier copy of the pay policy to scrutinise. How did your headteacher treat you afterwards. I'm wondering if mine is going to make my life hell at school afterwards and be unsuportive if I need support in future. I'm in two minds about whether to go ahead or not. I don't want to appear to be complaining about the head.

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Interesting, couple of things to note: the head can not change a school policy without the agreement of the governing body and the governors' pay appeal panel would doubtless be VERY interested to hear about them being misrepresented by your head and normal procedures subverted. If the GB were complicit I guess they didn't follow the law and consult with the staff or their representatives before changing the policy (a legal requirement).Also you could still appeal on the basis of the rules of appeal in operation at the time of the adverse pay decision. Basically your head is wriggling under the magnifying glass and just digfging themselves into a deeper hole, probably hoping to browbeat or frighten you into submission.
    I didn't have a subsequent problem with my head - my pay appeal came about because I was already a target and was defending myself aggressively. Like any bully if you give them a bloody nose they tend to shy away from you in the future, becoming a well-read union rep also helped me and that happened because of the research I had done in preparing my grievance and pay appeal.I have since helped numerous colleagues resist bullying and helped prevent the head abusing the staff over other entitlements such as TLRs, PPA, PM, lesson observations etc
    This head doesn't sound much like one who could offer much in the way of support, so no real loss there and you are obviously already in their sights - you wouldn't have been treated as you have otherwise.