1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS or LPS

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by DrJay, Dec 30, 2019.

1. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Which of these would be your preference, curriculum leadership job which pays leadership scale (LPS) (no further TLR) or HOD job that pays UPS plus TLR amounting to the same take home as the LPS. The former places the job holder in what the school describes as member of the extended leadership team whilst the latter describes postholder as a part of the Middle Leader team.

I'm wondering if seeking leadership positions say in 3-4 years time puts someone already on Leadership payscale on a stronger footing than someone seeking transition from UPS to leadership pay scale. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Being on the leadership scale and a member of the leadership team is definitely an advantage over a subject leader with TLR when seeking promotion.

However, what do the jobs actually involve? Which will you enjoy more? Are you able to apply for both?

Pomza and 576 like this.
  3. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Thanks for your response CTB. I'm currently HOD and considering applying for CL job and potential for it, in a few year's time, to lead to leadership roles like AHT. It's a sideway movement in the sense of doing more or less the same thing I'm doing in my current job and having more leadership opportunities being a newer school where one would be part of the ELTM and can learn the ropes and develop skills requisite for becoming AHT. However, it could be an eye opener for not going down that route.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you are already a HOD and the CL post is for more than just your subject, then it seems a sensible next step.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Perhaps it is worth pointing out that members of the leadership group are not protected by directed hours (if under STPCD) so, for example, can be directed to work outside the regulation 195 directed days.

dts, 576, bajan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Definitely better to be on Leadership Scale , it’s always higher base pay and a TLR can be taken away should circumstances change...

7. 576

576 Established commenter

If you're in leadership you'll likely have more meetings, possibly more duties (at my school gate duty is only done by leadership).

Middle management you'll have less of that stuff.

It comes down to what you want.